www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Beginner questions about Navigation Bars.

Beginner questions about Navigation Bars.

Hey, I'm pretty new to the web-development scene, in fact I've only been doing it for about three days now, but out of those three days, probably 50 man-hours have been put into writing and experimenting.

My problem is that when I want to update a link, or text on my navigation bar I have to go into each page on my website and update it manually.

Is there a way to only write the NavBar once, and perhaps pull that file into the website?

For instance, Index.html pulls Navbar.html into the "navbar" div?

Hopefully that was understandable.

Yes, there are several ways to do that. Search on "single file navigation" and you'll find some good advice.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Just to elaborate on Rick's reply, the best way to do this is by using PHP include files. This applies not only to nav bars, but also to headers, footers or any other content that is not unique to a page. PHP include files are very easy to write and use, but first you need to set up a local host to use for development purposes. I use Wampserver, it's free and installs automatically. It is well worth the effort to set up and learn a little PHP. Oh, and your web host needs to support PHP. Pretty well all paid hosts do, but not all free ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Just to elaborate on Rick's reply, the best way to do this is by using PHP include files. This applies not only to nav bars, but also to headers, footers or any other content that is not unique to a page. PHP include files are very easy to write and use, but first you need to set up a local host to use for development purposes. I use Wampserver, it's free and installs automatically. It is well worth the effort to set up and learn a little PHP. Oh, and your web host needs to support PHP. Pretty well all paid hosts do, but not all free ones.
    Thanks, because of the help I've recieved here (Mainly knowing what to search for) I've been able to change my code on each page from around 200 lines, to about 20.

It's beautiful, and only having to update my header/footer/nav once is amazing.

If you are using a code editor for example; DreamWeaver just use Find and Replace.

Yes you can do it with dreamweaver just press ctrl + f and replace with an old content

If you are using dream weaver, In css tab, in that you can change the text of navigation bar for all pages at one place.

Go to link for nevigation bars :
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 05-03-2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: dead link removed

Copy paste it on same but the condition is the template is same.

Thread Information