www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I'm a beginner, trying to figure out buttons.

I'm a beginner, trying to figure out buttons.

Well, I've pretty much gotten the basics down, I'm designing my website in Photoshop and then slicing the images. I'm writing all of the code myself (using Dreamweaver, but I'm not using the Design for anything but checking my work) however when it came to roll-over buttons I decided to just use the automated function that comes with Dreamweaver, this inserted some really, really nasty Java-script code into my source.

My friend was doing web-development in highschool and tells me that the way I'm doing my buttons for my Nav-bar is a piss-poor way to do it. (I have an image for the button, and an Image for the roll-over button. The text is on the Image itself) He's telling me however that I shouldn't do it that way and that I should use CSS to draw the button as a certain size depending on the content that's inside of the button (Text).

I'm not sure how to go about this, if you'd like to look at my website (First template ever made) you can do so here, please ignore the tossed in Javascript that Dreamweaver entered. My goal is to eventually be able to sell decent templates, but I don't want it to just look good and have poor programming behind it.

http://Xenon-X.net/

Thanks in advance for any help.

Typically all the "bells and whistles" in deamweaver are pure garbage.
    CSS 2.x/3 has pseudo elements for :hover (mouseover), :focus (kb nav/onclick), :active (kb nav/onclick).
    These work clear back to IE 6/7, and best of all, will work with or without javascript enabled.

Example:
    Code:
    .test {
        background-image: url(path/to/image/test-default.png);
    }
    .test:hover {
        background-image: url(path/to/image/test-hover.png);
    }
    .test:active,
    .test:focus {
        background-image: url(path/to/image/test-active.png);
    }