dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need help Validating Select List upon New ID Records in a table

Need help Validating Select List upon New ID Records in a table

I have a table that I am display in a website and I want to validate an Input select List for any new records from now on. I don't want validating to issue an error on older records. I am try to find a way to validate without having to use date.

Here is the validation I have for my input selection list:

if(document.getElementById('islTransferType').selectedIndex == 0)
    {
    alert("Mandatory: Please select Transfer Type for the BatchId your on.");
    return false;
    }
    return true;
    }

Please help me as I need it for my job.

over 211 views but no resolution. I only want to force the user to select an item for new records going forth. The existing records would only get validated if someone clicks on the field without selecting anything. how can I add to my javascript above to validate for new records going forth? Do I have to specific a date?

Quote Originally Posted by jazlady View Post
    over 211 views but no resolution.
    For the record, I never like to see comments like that. Views have no correlation to solutions nor do they imply any obligation to one.

Moving on, I feel like there's not really enough data to give you a valid answer. At this point all I know is you have a bunch of records in a database, and after a certain point there was a change in these records. Currently all of the new records (after this unknown point in time) a field became required.

And so now you want to use javascript to force the requirement on said field, but only for records created after this unspecified point in time, and you would like to do so without having to specify this point in time.

And so we move on to giving you an answer. I will go ahead and say that without any identifier to denote which records are pre and post change, it is impossible to have the validation follow this rule. You may not have to specify a date, but you will need to specify something in order to let javascript know which records were created before your 'change' and which records were created after. This sort of data could already exist on the page in some way or another, but of course I could not tell you for certain as none of that information has been presented. I'm not sure why there is a reluctance to specify a date, but if you really don't want to and there are no other key identifiers being loaded on the page you would likely need to modify whatever script loads these records onto the page and have it place an identifier somewhere (in a hidden field, or a field id, or directly to a javascript variable, etc.).

Thank you for your help. I will have to use a date filter for the new records.

Thread Information