www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: HTML or CSS which one I need to be a web developer?

HTML or CSS which one I need to be a web developer?

I am new in web developing. Want to be a web developer. Just a quick question, to be a web developer which one I need to know HTML or CSS?

Both. And much more.

HTML and CSS are not alternatives:
    - You cannot build a web site without HTML.
    - You cannot build a well-structured web site without CSS.

But HTML and CSS are not enough. You also need either, or both, PHP and/or JavaScript. That is how web sites are built, irrespective of whether you hand code them or use a CMS to write the code for you.

Both ofcourse HTML and CSS is a backbone or web development.

Anyone in web development needs a good understanding of HTML. Anyone working on the front end (the browser, a.k.a. client side) needs good skills with both CSS and JavaScript. Anyone working on the back end (server side) needs a good understanding of databases and of server side programming languages (with many to choose from, and it's good to know more than one: PHP, Ruby, Java, C#, etc.). There are assorted frameworks available for both server-side and client-side programming, and you should probably be familiar with the most popular ones. If you choose to specialize in one side or the other, you should still have a basic understanding of the other side; whereas if you want to be a single-person web shop, you need good skills on both sides.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Both are different, but if you struggle and concentrate on all things then you will definitely do.

You need both + server side programming language to get this all work together, if you want something more functional and dynamic than a simple static web-page.

It really depends. What your purpose is. If your hoping to do a great deal of custom styling then you need to put alot of attention into css.
    If styling isnt whats important, or you are considering using a templete, then you dont need to know that much css.

What kind of web sites do you want to dev?

If your site is just giving out static information then you can get by with just knowing html, and a little css.
    If your site requires non static data then you either need to pick up a little JavaScript and/or some server-side coding.

Hi avowzone,
    If you want to become a good web developer, first you need to know and strong with both of HTML and CSS.
    because the html commets used for creating web pages only. But the css can be used to styling that page.

And also If you want to creating static website these two things are enough but if you want creating dynamic web page you should know the PHP and Javascript.

I agree with you regarding w3schools. You can visit the below site for html beginner tutorials which provide you html scratchpad as well. Also you have to read this ost as well:
    http://www.skilledup.com/learn/progr...tml-tutorials/

Both! you must know then both and also javascript ,php etc...
    You need alot more then html and css to be web developer
    Good luck mate

Though I'm new to web design/development, I agree with most of the comments I've read. While a decent looking site can be created using a WYSIWYG editor like Dream Weaver or a Content Management system like Wordpress or Drupal without having extensive knowledge of HTML5 or CSS3, I believe it's imperative to have a firm grasp of both in order to effectively troubleshoot problems that may arise. As far as "knowing" Javascript or PHP, I believe as long as one knows what a script does and knows where to find a library, one could probably get by without extensive knowledge of of the actual language.

both languages are needed for a perfect web designer to make his/her website.

HTML and CSS functionality is limited,this offers you to create only static pages,for being a web developer you need a server side language like PHP,.net etc.

web developer needed not only CSS or HTML these are know only beginners of web developer . Web developers needed everything related to programming concepts .

Thread Information