dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Replacement for Dreamweaver MX - Layers to table

Replacement for Dreamweaver MX - Layers to table

I am a bit old school but I used to use Dreamweaver MX and I really like this application. However it is out of support etc so I need to find a replacement and I hope someone can please advise of the best way forward for me. I am not doing so much web development so ideally I am looking for a low cost editor.

The way I work with web sites is that I draw it up in Photoshop. Then I cut the images into parts wich I then create matching layers for in Dreamweaver MX. When all looks good I use the "Convert layers to table" to the a table layout for the page. When working with layers I align everything to the left but when converting to table I centre the table on the page.

Any suggestions will be appreciated - thanks!

No alternate Dreamweaver mx has been made yet

I'm not sure what difference Dreamweaver MX being no longer supported makes? I learnt on MX, and still use Fireworks MX occasionally, to produce animated graphics like my avatar. However, for developing web pages, I was always more comfortable with DW in code mode. Eventually I realized that I could do as well, if not better, with a programmer's text editor like notepad++.

However, it seems that you are comfortable with the limitations of the technology you use. The question is for how much longer will there be a demand for such sites? In that respect, I would like to suggest that you consider a more modern paradigm, like responsive design, but that is not what you asked.

I am new to Dreamweaver. I have tried to build my site in layers, but when I select the option to convert the layers to a table, I get the error message "This file cannot be made compatible with 3.0 browsers because it contains layers that are partially offscreen." I am not sure what this means, since I don't see where the layers are off the screen. My left/right margins are set to 0. Could this be the problem?

Why do you need any alternate when you can make it with Dreamweaver I know it is best.

Quote Originally Posted by keykeeper View Post
    I am a bit old school but I used to use Dreamweaver MX and I really like this application. However it is out of support etc so I need to find a replacement and I hope someone can please advise of the best way forward for me. I am not doing so much web development so ideally I am looking for a low cost editor.

The way I work with web sites is that I draw it up in Photoshop. Then I cut the images into parts wich I then create matching layers for in Dreamweaver MX. When all looks good I use the "Convert layers to table" to the a table layout for the page. When working with layers I align everything to the left but when converting to table I centre the table on the pag

Any suggestions will be appreciated - thanks!
    Expression Web 4 and it's free now. Used Dreamweaver for many years and started using EW4 and never looked at DW again after I used EW 4 a few times. It's been our editor of choice for a couple of years now. We build no more DW sites.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=36179

Thread Information