www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Website coming up blank on certain devices / browsers

Website coming up blank on certain devices / browsers

Hey all, firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section. Hope someone can give me some insight with a particular problem I'm having.

I have a client who wanted a website for our country similar to the international site. All good and well - but for some reason, the site doesn't load at all at certain times on certain devices with certain browsers.

I don't get an error code, just a white page as if nothing has loaded. I've noticed this happening on Chrome for Android as well as Firefox 28.0 on PC.

The site is: http://www.hyperstrength.co.nz
    It's using WordPress and Woocommerce.

I honestly don't know what it is happening - I haven't had this issue before.

I am using Cloudflare for this website (and Hostgator).

Thanks,
    Chad

Have you validated your code? In my experience this sort of problem is often caused by an unclosed HTML tag, which some browsers ignore, whilst others fall over. Validating the code should quickly reveal if this happens to be the case here.

Another possibility: have you checked that the HTML5/CSS3 features you have used are supported by the browsers having difficulty rendering the page? Just a thought. See here for a comprehensive cross-reference of CSS3 features...
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 05-12-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Taking a look at it, the fixed width design and lack of proper responsive break-points are partially at fault, but really there's so much "scripting for nothing" that tracking down any of the dozens if not hundreds of places it's failing (as evidenced by watching the error log in a browser) could be causing your woes.

The completely ridiculously absurd amount of scripting on that page -- for christmas only knows what -- cannot be helping that site work... much of anywhere.

It gets worse though -- the endless media="all" and design concepts that have NOTHING to do with building a responsive layout... I mean, I'm used to turdpress bloat, but whatever nonsensical framework is in use there is taking something bad, and making it far, far worse. I mean seriously, 73k of markup for 883 bytes of plaintext and less than a dozen actual content images? Anywhere from six to ten times the amount of code that should be present!

You don't have an accessible design, so it's not exactly a shock it doesn't work... in much of anything here; ASSUMING I was even willing to wait the half a minute it took to load thanks to the ridiculous 2.3 megabytes of data -- or more specificially 70 separate files. Fixed width layout, illegible fixed metric (px) fonts, illegible color contrasts -- that right there is the trifecta of /FAIL/ at web design!

As I tell a LOT of people, you've been led down the garden path on both design and code, and my advice: Toss it and start over, there is little if anything I'd even TRY to salvage from that mess.

Sorry if you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth of the matter. Any "fixes" we could give you would amount to trying to fix a leak in the Hoover dam with duct-tape, bailing wire and chewing gum.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

Thread Information