www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need Guidance

Unhappy Need Guidance

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum and web developing career as well, ia m facing some problems and i hope you might show me a way. actually i have pretty good knowledge (more like general idea) on how the web works and i really like coding so i chose web development career right now my focus is mainly on client side but my aim is to move further along to the server side and all as far as i can.

the problem with me is and which i thing most of the people face is that i got no school/ tech acedemy in my area so i have to do all of this alone and this is where i get confused most of the time. when i start working on a test website and if i have an idea i seem to get stuck because it requires some kind of other programming langauge like JS or php so then i loose the track and just wander where to start should i do this or that, "should i leave this and start all from the beginning?" and i coudnt seem to complete the thing i started so i just need guidance on how to start which steps to follow inorder to become perfect with programming and web dev as you know my aims please give a detailed reply to enlighten me on how did you guys start and what is best for me. Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful world of web development. No schools? No problem (Certifications later down the road will help. More or less expensive pieces of paper that state you can use a keyboard without drooling). I self taught myself HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML, DTD, PHP, SQL, HTTP, OOP, SVG, etc., etc. And can read C#, C++, Java, Perl, Python and ASP.

HTML and CSS should be your starting point, everything begins and ends in these two. I recommend getting a strong understanding of what most HTML elements represent in terms of markup and meaning. And a strong understanding of how CSS works.

After that you can either jump into JavaScript or server-side languages. You may find that JavaScript is more essential to what you want to learn first. Some of what you learn from JavaScript can be applied to server-side languages (i.e. object-oriented programming, etc.).

Start out small, set goals. Learn, try, do, expand, and improve upon what you learn (master it!).

Start with the W3S HTML tutorial. When you have a good grasp of HTML, go on to the sister tutorial on CSS.

Thread Information