www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Thoughts on my website – I can take it

Thoughts on my website – I can take it

As it says on my About Pedro page “I am just using this website as a place to post a bit of HTML and CSS to get a bit of a feel for how web pages are put together”
    www.pedrosdigitalsolutions.com
    I realise that there are numerous things wrong with this site, first and foremost being overuse of absolute image positioning, fixed units and zero fluidity / responsiveness. Aside from that massive acknowledgment of the sites shortcomings I am just interested in some honest advice, criticism etc if anyone feels inclined to venture an opinion. Thanks Pedro.

needs better images and graphics. favicon and logo dont match with each others as well as that site.

1. The good news
    - As far as I can see the site has not been thrown together with a CMS.
    - I like to layout, use of white space, and bright primary colors.

2. The bad news:
    - If you know that the site is deficient in major ways, why are you asking for opinions?
    - If you haven't learnt haw to build a fluid site (let alone responsive) why do you have Javascript in the page? Get the essentials right first.
    - Why are you using JS for a sticky header and nav bars (which can be done in CSS)? Besides which nav bars shouldn't be written in JS anyway - at least, not without a fall-back!!!

Summary - Focus on the essentials like learning to use HTML and CSS correctly before moving on to non-essentials like JS.

Thanks tushar, good point. I will design a new favicon and yes the images are pretty basic quality aren't they.

jedaisoul thanks for your thoughts also. When I first started out to learn some basic web coding I was only vaguely aware of responsiveness etc but I can now see how important it is if one is to develop a fully functioning modern site. I see that if JS is not available the layout on some pages can break because once the header is not fixed to the top of the page this can affect the positioning of some of the elements that follow.
    Thank you for your constructive observations and yes you are correct in assuming that my site is a CMS bloat free zone

Hey, I did an eye tracking test on your website to see where the user look while visiting your site. Check out the result:

http://i.imgur.com/M2NgtlP.png

The blank margin between the pictures is too much in my opinion.

Thread Information