dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to copy HTML as TEXT value to window clipboard?

Smile How to copy HTML as TEXT value to window clipboard?

Hi my dear expert friends here,

Can help me with this problem as stated above?

Problem details:

I need to copy a table from HTML and paste it to Lotus Approach. But when i copy a fraction(1 1/8) from HTML and paste it , it become 1.125.

Below picture show the output when i copy and pasted to excel file, it look like window will auto change a fraction become a floating value when copy from a HTML:
    1.jpg

this is what i want it to copy and paste it as a text file.
    2.jpg

Any kind experts can please help me? Thank you~

You're copying from a Microsoft Excel document, not an HTML document. I'm not an Excel expert, but because Excel copies both the internal data representation (the decimal format version) as well as the displayed text, you may need to paste the data into a plain text document, and then copy that data in the text document and paste it into Lotus Approach. It's worth trying, anyway.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

You need to format the cell in approach just as it was in excel. It's showing the correct value, you just don't like the formatting...

Though... Lotus Approach? REALLY? When did we get to 1995? You stuck in OS/2 or something? Wasn't support cut off completely like six to eight years ago or something when IBM deep-sixed pretty much their entire "user software" division?

Oh, and since you seem to have EXCEL (a spreadsheet) as your source (which is NOT HTML) and want it into Approach (a database) -- why aren't you just saving as CSV, then importing the CSV in Approach?
    Last edited by deathshadow; 05-14-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Hi rtrethewey and deathshadow, thank you for your reply. Sorry for my poor english...

@deathshadow, I have just entered this company, and which they are still using lotus approach. I'm php web developer that developing a php web to integrate with the old lotus approach. I have no experience on lotus either.

@rtrethewey I have done created a website and just use normal manual(ctrl+c) to copy a table in HTML format, now i wanted to pass the data to Lotus Approach(previous lotus developer create a button with paste function).
    While i paste it to Lotus, it show me a message that data not match. Therefore i paste it to an Excel file just to see the paste output format. When i paste it to excel, i found that all data are "genaral" format except fraction "1 1/8" changed to "1.125".

Any one can help pls?

That's presentation, NOT the value. Saying 1 1/8 means jack **** to a computer, that's JUST the presentation it was showing you in Approach. You're fine, don't sweat that!

1.125 == 1 and 1/8th

Hell, if you're going to be putting it into a database engine, they don't know what fractions are ANYWAYS. You wouldn't be able to process the data! Unless that's non-data information and just plaintext (which seems unlikely) you WANT it to be a real number instead of fractional.

THOUGH, if it's a properly formed HTML table, have you considered using DOMDocument in PHP to just parse it into CSV? Shouldn't be rocket science to walk the DOM -- I've done data transfer/import that way in the past.

Thread Information