www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: retrieving username from login form.

retrieving username from login form.

I am testing this login script from github https://github.com/panique/php-login...631625cce3184c

Once a user logs in I created a header that sends me to another page and on that page I wanted to echo the $user_name that was entered when I logged in. Can someone help me with a way I can have that displayed?

Someone else was trying to use this very same script http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...sic-login-form
    I don't recommend using it.

Where did you learn how to write scripts from scratch? any websites you would like to share?

my problem is that I don't know where to start and I try to search for php login scripts online and that was the best one I could find.

Taught myself PHP 12 years or so ago. The PHP manual has proven to be the most useful tool for learning PHP. Along with endless trial and error.
    You can use that script as a guide to make your own.

My biggest gripe with that script is that the programmers made a distributable script that is niche due to the requirements that are enforced. When you can a script public, you want to make as usable as possible. As a basic login class, there is no reason for not to be backwards compatible to PHP 5.0 (bare minimum, PHP 3/4 if you want to flaunt your skills). This clearly shows how lazy and ignorant the programmers are.

Learning how to write scripts from scratch is managed by (as Nike says) 'just doing it'. You'll never learn by copying. Get a book. Find a site that educates. Try codeacademy.com. I know of people who have used it but have never used it myself. The problem with scripts that you download is that you have no knowledge and therefore have no idea how bad the script could be.

How would you be able to find out if your script is not secure enough and there are holes that can be exploited? How can I test for that? I have been reading on owasp.org. Are there other sites you guys know of that discuss security issues.

If you only get one PHP book, get this one (and it's pretty small as programming books go): http://phpsecurity.org/
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information