www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: is the 70 character limit in PHP email obsolete?

is the 70 character limit in PHP email obsolete?

While cobbling together my first PHP email form, I forgot to do the wordwrap() call to trim my message lines to 70 characters, before doing the mail() call. I only realized my mistake after viewing a few examples of email forrms, where a comment line would always say "// message lines should not exceed 70 characters (PHP rule), so wrap it". Well the bottom line is this.. If I do the wrap, it will. But if i don't, it won't wrap, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Indeed, I've copied text with long paragraphs into my mail form as a test, and it gets delivered exactly as I'd want, with line breaks only between the paragraphs. So is this a now obsolete rule?
    Randy (PeterPan)
    ... Second Star to the Right, and Straight on Till Morning!

imho - I don't think it's a php rule - it's more of an email convention so that the receipient doesn't have to read an ungainly message. Let's face it - do you keep your email client open on your desktop in a maximized state or in a convenient size off to the side of your screen?

Its been a long time since I saw pre-wrapped email messages. i never liked them and I guess now I know where they came from. But bottom line, I saw this in a few form tutorials on the W3schools.com site, which seems to be a pretty good reference. But if its all the same to PHP, I'll leave my emails unwrapped. :-)
    Randy (PeterPan)

W3Schools... well there's your problem. Take NOTHING they say as fact... in fact:

http://www.w3fools.com/

Explains a lot of the fallacies -- like they are NOT associated with the W3C in any way, shape or form -- the pages are filled with web-rot and misinformation, yadda, yadda.

There are good links on w3fools down towards the bottom to much better alternatives.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

W3fools!
    Hahahahahah!!!
    Randy (PeterPan)

Thread Information