www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Positioniing individual navigation text

resolved [RESOLVED] Positioniing individual navigation text

I have a client who wants their navigation to be placed within photo frames which run across the top of their web page similar to what you see in this image. However, the photo frames are more complex than what I have shown here.
    nav.jpg

My question is; is there a way for me to position the different navigating links individually within these frames through the use of CSS? Some of the navigation links are two and three lines. Some of these links also have drop-down navigation which I want to make sure drops down directly under the selected link.

I started out using the suckerfish drop-down navigation code, but can't figure out which CSS selectors to use to control the position of individual links.
    Last edited by lkeeney; 05-29-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    Larry

Well first, this is 2014, not 2004. You don't need javascript like suckerfish for dropdown menus... and if you REALLY need IE6 support, that's a .htc file's job.

Is there some reason you can't just make the 'frames' as you call them (hint, avoid using a name for a tag to describe things) an anchor, then put the text inside the anchor? A negative margin or absolute positioning relative to the anchor would then be the easiest approach -- likewise for the dropdown just put it after the anchor, and :hover off the parent.

Though it SOUNDS like you are thinking presentation before you even have either of those, and that's not a good thing either. Lemme guess, you've got some photoshop jockey drawing pretty pictures and then having the giant set of brass to call themselves a "designer" involved in things? That's a wild guess, but it's an educated one.

But really it's hard to say without seeing some sample content -- the text and an example set of images -- since content should dictate markup, just as content and markup dictate style. that picture of five black boxes on a white background REALLY isn't telling us anything useful about what you are trying to do.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    Well first, this is 2014, not 2004. You don't need javascript like suckerfish for dropdown menus... and if you REALLY need IE6 support, that's a .htc file's job.

Is there some reason you can't just make the 'frames' as you call them (hint, avoid using a name for a tag to describe things) an anchor, then put the text inside the anchor? A negative margin or absolute positioning relative to the anchor would then be the easiest approach -- likewise for the dropdown just put it after the anchor, and :hover off the parent.

Though it SOUNDS like you are thinking presentation before you even have either of those, and that's not a good thing either. Lemme guess, you've got some photoshop jockey drawing pretty pictures and then having the giant set of brass to call themselves a "designer" involved in things? That's a wild guess, but it's an educated one.

But really it's hard to say without seeing some sample content -- the text and an example set of images -- since content should dictate markup, just as content and markup dictate style. that picture of five black boxes on a white background REALLY isn't telling us anything useful about what you are trying to do.
    Thank your for your sarcastic comments, and the suckerfish code I have been using for drop-down menu is not javascript.
    Larry

Then it isn't suckerfish... or son of suckerfish... no startList functon? no extra sfhover classes? NOT suckerfish.

Still, if you're willing to share code, content, images, and a better idea of how you want that text placed (left, right, centered, top, bottom?) -- if those images are content (unlikely), meant as backgrounds... we could probably dial in a better solution -- without those things it's a matter of guessing blindly and making assumptions that may or may not apply.

... and sarcastic? REALLY? You should hear it when I'm ACTUALLY TRYING to be sarcastic because to be frank, that wasn't it. That post was in earnest.
    Last edited by deathshadow; 05-30-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    Then it isn't suckerfish... or son of suckerfish... no startList functon? no extra sfhover classes? NOT suckerfish.

Still, if you're willing to share code, content, images, and a better idea of how you want that text placed (left, right, centered, top, bottom?) -- if those images are content (unlikely), meant as backgrounds... we could probably dial in a better solution -- without those things it's a matter of guessing blindly and making assumptions that may or may not apply.

... and sarcastic? REALLY? You should hear it when I'm ACTUALLY TRYING to be sarcastic because to be frank, that wasn't it. That post was in earnest.
    Unfortunately, the client for this website required both me and my wife to sign non-disclosure agreements due to the sensitive nature of the content of the website. Because of this, I am hesitant to give any further details.

I realize it is difficult to read my mind, and understand what I am trying to achieve. As such, I am marking this thread Resolved. I have located a video tutorial which I think I can follow to accomplish what I am looking to do.

Thanks for your help.
    Larry

Thread Information