dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Lots of spammers on this forum

Lots of spammers on this forum

Looked at the recent posts, and at least 60% of them are spam. People copy and paste nonsensical answers from Wikipedia to boost their post count so they can drop a link later.

Yes, the links on this site are nofollow, but it doesn't seem to be stopping non-spammers.

I have reported several of these posts, but no one seems to care.

+1

Dave you've reported three threads from one person and he/she is being dealt with

For the most part, if a post doesn't violate the AUP we leave it...

I've seen a couple spammers -- I reported them, the posts were removed. Most often when I see posts that are odd, it's more because the person has no clue what they're talking about or the answer has nothing to do with the question.

I find it personally irritating when someone's answer to everything is "Just use Wordpress." When they have no other answer, or respond that way to questions not related to "What CMS should I use?" (and even then, the answer is very shallow), it automatically makes me question their competence.
    Last edited by kmoinu; 05-07-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Welcome to the World on online Forum Posting

But seriously, this site is a rather larger one (out of the 22 sites that the owner owns) and we get a lot of people posting that shouldn't be.

The best and simple thing to do is ignore them.

There are actually bots that post random stuff.. They're a little hard to catch but we do our best.

One of the things I really dislike...EXAMPLE: Is SEO Important... YES/NO and 37 people post YES... Me thinks - Why bother...

And last but not least... If the staff get too heavy handed it looks bad to newcomers.

As a moderator here, I find it ironic how much of the spam-or-not-spam-? posts are in the Search Engine forum.

PS: If the posts you see here are sometimes disappointing, just be glad you don't see a lot of the stuff that never makes it past the filters that send them to the moderation queue.

PPS: And with my years of membership here, I admit to having developed blinders of a sort where I (mostly) can just ignore the junk while looking for the posts that are worth my time to read and possibly respond to.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

@Steve R Jones & NogDog: All good points. It's good that the mods aren't too heavy handed. It makes for a more open forum, which I appreciate.

Speaking of "why bother" questions, since I'm a relative newbie on this forum, I'm just wondering how many of the "How do I build a website" questions get asked that people actually try to answer with full answers? Is there a standard response or stickied thread we can point them to? You old-timers (on the forum) must've seen a lot of those kinds of posts.

I would say that, in general, really basic questions that take more than a short, one-sentence answer are probably more likely to get answered by relative newcomers to the forum than by those who have already seen the same question a few hundred (thousand?) times. Us old "grognards" are more likely to just skip over them, or occasionally in a fit of pique may post a http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+I+build+a+web+site link.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    occasionally in a fit of pique may post a http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+I+build+a+web+site link.
    Ha! That would be me at times.

I can see why you'd want to take a more laid back approach and certainly understand the amount of work that goes into detecting what's spam and what's not. Bots are getting smarter, and some spammers hire human assistants, who are even harder to detect.

I own two decent-sized forums and administer both of them myself. What's been really helpful in preventing garbage posts is banning IP ranges from questionable ISPs. There are a handful of ISPs throughout the world whose bread and butter is their lax policies toward spam. I've cut down on a huge amount of spam by getting rid of those.

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Us old "grognards" are more likely to just skip over them, or occasionally in a fit of pique may post a http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+I+build+a+web+site link.
    That is beautiful. I'm saving that as a bookmark.

Thread Information