www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Where to begin to make a website

Where to begin to make a website

I'm a newbie in web programming. I haven't done anything that relates to website before. Now, my new task is creating a website using Java, Jsp, HTML, CSS, mySQL, Apache and Spring Framework (MVC model).

I want to know what I should research if I want my website has the function as post entries, comment entries, delete entries, edit entries, etc as a forum? Which I need to know beside above things? I don't know how to update my website automatically when there're changes in website as the top view products, the best products. I don't think I'll input or change them manually. So, which tools or language can support that?

Thank for advance

first off, Java and JSP are not JavaScript

secondly, if you have to use a framework then the best place to get any advice is in the frameworks community forums of the vendor.

finally, CSS basics can be learned here in the appropriate forum or on W3C schools website as can the other elements you want to know.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    first off, Java and JSP are not JavaScript

secondly, if you have to use a framework then the best place to get any advice is in the frameworks community forums of the vendor.

finally, CSS basics can be learned here in the appropriate forum or on W3C schools website as can the other elements you want to know.
    Oh, I forgot. I also use Javascript, too. I'm going to research about AJAX. Is it suitable? At this time, I can build a demo website, but I want to update the web content automatically. Do you have any suggestions for me?

AJAX is part of JavaScript so you would be advised to learn how to use it.

What you should IMHO avoid doing is fallind in to the JQuery (Frameworks) wormhole and mistaking it for JavaScript. Although the base code is written using JavaScript, frameworks are not JavaScripting, they are a tool and like any took can be over used or relied upon too often to do simple tasks.

You are IMHO better off understanding JavaScript & AJAX and understanding where and when a Framework would be best used. I am a self confessed purist and I don't use frameworks of any kind.

If you want to code, better off learning from the ground up by

Learning how to code compliant HTML markup
    then learning how to manipulate the DOM tree elements and the bells and whistles of JavaScript
    then learn how CSS can help with not only styling but some of the more asked about tricks and twists
    Then learn about PHP and how it can make your pages more dynamic
    Then learn about how MySQL (Databases) with PHP and forms, submissions and to effectively use AJAX for seamless interaction
    Then how to use other server based tricks in Apache like URL rewriting, security, etc...
    Then frameworks (if your really must)
    (Just as a guide for you)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!

on the other hand...

if you really are at square one in terms of web programming and you want all that stuff on your site, you may find it a better use of your time/resources simply to hire someone to make it for you.

or investigate a CMS-based solution like WordPress, which does most of the heavy lifting for you and lets you add functionality pretty much by dragging and dropping.

otherwise you could spend years mastering the abovementioned languages & techniques. Which is OK if you want to do this regularly, but if it's just for one site it doesn't make sense to me...

or...

As Xelawho suggests and gap fill your learning with the bespoke bits you want.

Thread Information