www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please review my portfolio website

Red face Please review my portfolio website

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm also fairly new to the front-end web development industry. I would love to get some reviews on my portfolio website. Thanks!

http://www.sharonchan.ca

Well, the colors are dreadful, the parallax scrolling nonsense makes the page very hard to use and/or annoyingly useless; not rocking 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 to be presented with a page where all that's visible is one massive sentence, or to have the page painful to scroll.

You also have inaccessible fixed metric fonts in the header, the attempt at responsive design is a joke, the 'compacted' menu being counterintuitive and hard to use on mobile (despite the current raging boner most developers seem to have for that garbage right now) the cyan on grey and white on orange is questionable legibility and below accessibility minimums (particularly on the thin fonts further in the page), and there is simply WAY too much wasted white-space that could be better used to deliver content.

Under the hood you have no media target for your stylesheet LINK, a PNG favicon meaning poor support and the use of 'type' is likely to break that some places, the incomplete REL also likely meaning the favicon not working. It suffers from HTML 5 code bloat (not a fan), DIV for nothing, gibberish use of numbered headings, paragraphs doing numbered heading's job, attributes like TARGET that have no business on any site written after 1997 unless you have framesets (which you don't), empty italic tags for what should have either been done on the anchor, or with a span as gilder-levin, paragraphs around non-paragraph elements...

I would suggest starting over with just your content, semantically marking it up, creating a more practical layout without the goofy parallax scripted nonsense (which would let you axe the bloated pile of crap known as jQuery in the process), with far, FAR less wasteful whitespace and putting actual CONTENT on the page when it first load, instead of scaling one lousy meaningless sentence to suck down the entire display. Likewise the fist in the face of hideous colors definitely needs an axe swung at it... particularly where combined with the thin useless webfonts it has major accessibility issues.

As a USER, that page would be an instant bounce for me. As would the very pretty but ultimately useless sites you have as live demo's, which are similarly flawed. Yes, some of them are quite nice looking -- like that Heather Payne one -- but they are a pain in the ass to use as a user and feel like using artsy fartsy presentation to sweep a lack of actual content under the rug... or that 'movie palettes' site that has major legibility issues with the white over white images and white on yellow.
    Last edited by deathshadow; 06-18-2014 at 08:15 AM.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

The color theme reminds me to much of Christmas, maybe a cleaner softer professional color theme? As for JQuery, Deathshadow obviously thinks Google doesn't know what they are doing and is living in the 90s. In my opinion you make up for having a little higher amount of code in the form of the library by writing less code. However, if the code is written poorly then you will run into unnecessary code that could potentially bog the webpage down and get what DS is writing about. Take my advice or his, for all that matters is your own. Get rid of the X when you click on your name, it looks like you are not proud of yourself. The "Hello, I am a Toronto' font is to large in my opinion, it needs to be calmed down as well and you have to many widows in that as well. I say get rid of the scrolling pages, but for a different reason there are people who are light sensitive and the fast scrolling could cause them to have a seizure. An besides DS is right it's annoying.

Thread Information