dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Embarrassing 'n00b' question...

Embarrassing 'n00b' question...

I'm a designer who used to hand off his work to coders to finish, but ended up picking up a thing or two about programming over the years. Nowhere near as much as you guys, just enough to get by.

I have a webpage I need to modify (that I did not create) that has an interstitial ad on it. This ad needs to disappear. It might come back later, but for now, we want it gone. Ideally, by modifying as little code as possible.

After searching for every instance of the word "interstitial" on the page, I found these two small scripts :

<script type="text/javascript">
    function pmc_ads_interruptus_single() {
    if ( typeof pmc == 'undefined' || ! pmc ) {
    return;
    }

var home_url = "http://website.com";
    var endpoints = ["interstitial"];
    var current_url = window.location.href;

for ( var i = 0; i < endpoints.length; i++ ) {
    if ( pmc.is_empty( endpoints[ i ] ) ) {
    continue;
    }

var endpoint = endpoints[ i ].toLowerCase();

//check cookie
    var yummy_cookie = pmc.cookie.get( endpoint );

if ( ! pmc.is_empty( yummy_cookie ) ) {
    //cookie is set, skip to next endpoint
    continue;
    }

//cookie not set, save current_url in cookie
    pmc.cookie.set( 'pmc_interrupted_url', encodeURIComponent( current_url ), 300, '/' );

//redirect to endpoint url
    window.location.href = home_url + "/" + endpoint + "/";

//exit this loop
    break;
    }
    }

pmc_ads_interruptus_single();
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var pmc_gallery_jsdata = { "gallery_first":0,"ad_click":"2","ad_interstitial":"","interstitial_duration":"","interstitial_start ":0,"shortcode":"0","interstitial_ad_code":"" };
    </script>
    I thought I could solve this on my own, but I was wrong. I tried minor integer modifications (no effect) and even removing both scripts (seems to affect other areas on the site).

Is the quoted code above enough to work with to simply turn the darn interstitial off for a while? I bet all I had to do all along was change one word. But which?

Thx!

What sort of changes have you attempted that did not work and what were the error console messages you received?
    Do you have an active link to the site with all relevant code?

Have you tried something as simple as? :
    // pmc_ads_interruptus_single();

Suggestion: Might want to remove all cookie settings during testing mode
    in case finding the active cookie results bypass all your JS removal attempts.

All tests involving minor changes (like changing a 0 to a 1 or a "") made zero difference.

Removing the function completely (by deleting the whole thing) worked, but it affected other ads on the site (they're *all* gone). We just want to get rid of the interstitial for now.

The people I work with would rather these files not be shared publicly for now (so I deferred to Plan B, just posting the 2 scripts I found).

I tried your suggestion, and it had the same effect as removing the function completely (see above).

Hold on, I think I just uncovered another problem in the code that was responsible for all the ads disappearing when the interstitial did. As of my writing this, your suggestion actually does the trick. Issue resolved for now. Thanks!

With pmc_ads_interruptus_single(); commented out at your suggestion, what happens to the cookies? Do they still get saved even though there's no reason for them?

Presumably the cookies are saved per other parts of your command query code (not shown)
    but the removal of the check function, pmc_ads_interrupts_single(), just doesn't look at them.

What about breaking the HTML code objects that are attached to the adverts?

<!-- comment them out !!! -->
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information