www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: CSS animation : rotating text possible?

Question CSS animation : rotating text possible?

Is it possible to have a *text* rotating using CSS animations? I tried the following (on Google Chrome), but it turns out to not become animated:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <style>
    div {
    background: red;
    position: relative;
    -webkit-animation: rot 15s infinite;
    }

@-webkit-keyframes rot {
    from {transform: rotate(0deg);}
    to {transform: rotate(-180deg);}
    }

</style>
    </head>
    <body>

<div>A</div>

</body>
    </html>

See if this helps, I would suggest you use w3schools as a reference tool as it is very useful.

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_transform.asp

You should check "writing-mode" CSS property. Well, at present this won't work ideally, but eventually should be implemented in all browsers

Quote Originally Posted by DevenDoes View Post
    See if this helps, I would suggest you use w3schools as a reference tool as it is very useful.

I'm always using w3school, and I know the page you are referring to - after all, I patterned my example after those given in the w3school examples. However, this didn't help me in understanding why my example doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by kred View Post
    You should check "writing-mode" CSS property. Well, at present this won't work ideally, but eventually should be implemented in all browsers
    As far I understand, writing-mode just gives the writing direction (for example, right-to-left), so I don't see how this would help me here.

Could it be that rotating text is not supported at all, and I would have to create an image from the text, and report the image?

Quote Originally Posted by DevenDoes View Post

I did use w3school (actually, I patterened my CSS according to some examples I found there), and I also know the page you mentioned. Still, I don't see what I did wrong in *my* example. Can you spot my error?

Hey, I apologize for my ignorance of not checking to see if your code was along the lines of theirs, I thought you were more so looking for an example to help guide you. From some testing I found that this works on all browsers.

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <style>
    div
    {
    width:200px;
    height:100px;
    background-color:yellow;
    /* Rotate div */
    transform:rotate(100deg);
    -ms-transform:rotate(100deg); /* IE 9 */
    -webkit-transform:rotate(100deg); /* Opera, Chrome, and Safari */
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>

<div>Hello</div>

</body>
    </html>

As long as you enter the same degrees for each spot you can it should work. If not let me know and I will continue to assist you.

Laughing at the responses so far, as your problem is QUITE obvious.

You are declaring the non-CSS3 non W3C vendor specific version for the webkit engine ONLY -- that means your code will only work in Safari and pre-"blink" versions of Chrome. If you see -webkit or -moz or -ms, those are vendor specific implementations, NOT actual specification CSS! Inside your -webkit-keyframes to even work in Safari/Chrome you actually need to say -webkit-transform to have it work in those browsers -- you want it in FF prior to version 21 you need -moz-, and for every other browser you don't use any vendor prefix.

Code:
    div {
    	background: red;
    	position: relative;
    	-webkit-animation: rot 15s infinite; 
    	-moz-animation: rot 15s infinite; 
    	animation: rot 15s infinite; 
    }

@-webkit-keyframes rot {
    	from {-webkit-transform: rotate(0deg);}
    	to {-webkit-transform: rotate(-180deg);}
    }

@-moz-keyframes rot {
    	from {-moz-transform: rotate(0deg);}
    	to {-moz-transform: rotate(-180deg);}
    }

@keyframes rot {
    	from {transform: rotate(0deg);}
    	to {transform: rotate(-180deg);}
    }
    Also beware that keyframes is not supported in IE9/earlier... But really that's all you need to do. -webkit version, -moz version, no prefix version, done.

There are STILL a lot of web-rot tutorials out there that call the vendor prefix versions CSS3, I've seen some that only show the -webkit version as if Safari and Chrome are the only browsers in existence... Bunch of BS.

Hope this helps.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    Laughing at the responses so far, as your problem is QUITE obvious.

You are declaring the non-CSS3 non W3C vendor specific version for the webkit engine ONLY
    Yes, I know. I thought that for *this* discussion it should not matter, because I am testing it on Chrome right now, so -webkit should be fine. In the final application, I would use SCSS to generate the correct styles for all versions.

I did not know, however, that in this case I also have to use -webkit-transform inside the keyframe! In any case, your example works, and I can continue from there. Thanks a lot.

Rotate the text is possible in this method.

Thread Information