www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Generating reports via Mysql

Hybrid View

Generating reports via Mysql

Hi There

I am in the midst of creating a website where the user can upload and download music/fx.

What I need to know is how to generate reports specifically for the following:

User info:
    -who downloaded/uploaded what, how many times and when

Music/fx:
    - what piece of audio, how many times and when

If anyone just point me in the general direction to start I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Well, the first thing you have to do is record those actions in your database. Once you come up with the data schema for that, the reporting process should be fairly straight-forward. At a bare minimum, you need some sort of activity table that includes foreign keys to your user table and your music/fx table, including a column indicating if it's an upload or download. (Depending on how complex things may get or personal preference, it might be desirable to make it two different tables: uploads and downloads.) It would include a timestamp field, which could default to NOW(), allowing you to select and/or sort by date/time.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information