www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Referral Source & Hidden Fields

Referral Source & Hidden Fields

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to capture the visitors source from Google Analytics and pass that through a form using a hidden field? Here is what I am looking to do. I have a form on my website that I'd like to know where that specific person who filled out the form came from. Can you help me with this?

Code:
        <input id="ip" name="ip" value="<?php echo ($_SERVER 'REMOTE_ADDR']); ?>" type="hidden">
        <input id="host" name="host" value="<?php $hostname = gethostbyaddr($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']); echo ($hostname); ?>" type="hidden">
    This will capture your visitor's IP address in the form...no need for Google Analytics.

@kralcx, since it would exist anyways in PHP, why bother passing it into an input in the first place?
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    @kralcx, since it would exist anyways in PHP, why bother passing it into an input in the first place?
    Doesn't it need to be passed into an input so that the ip address will be emailed along with the rest of the form?

He doesn't want the IP Address. He wants the referrer, as in $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'].
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Quote Originally Posted by kralcx View Post
    Doesn't it need to be passed into an input so that the ip address will be emailed along with the rest of the form?
    ... and how exactly would the value in $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] change between sending the form and receiving the form? That value would be the same. In fact if it changes, it's either not the same user, or someone's faking IP addy's for MITM attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrethewey View Post
    He doesn't want the IP Address. He wants the referrer, as in $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'].
    That value on the other hand would change -- though I STILL wouldn't send it as part of the form, I'd set it as a $_SESSION value.

Code:
    session_start();
    session_regenerate_id();
    if (!isset($_SESSION['originatedFrom'])) {
      $_SESSION['originatedFrom'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
    }
    Would keep track of where the user for this session came from. Put that wherever you start your session (or add it to the start of the code if you aren't running sessions), and use $_SESSION['originatedFrom'] wherever you want that value.
    Last edited by deathshadow; 06-29-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

Thread Information