dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Choosing a School

Choosing a School

Hello everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm in need of some help.

I've really grown an interest in web development and was wondering what kind of education it takes to pursue a career in this field? I've read a lot of differing opinions, whether college or university is the way to go and some people who say that hands on experience is enough. As much as I would like to have the confidence and security of a Bachelor's Degree in a program related to Web Development, I've already spent four years making the huge mistake of pursuing a Bachelor of Arts. So for me a college program of 1-2 years is more appealing than going back for another 4. Are there any significant disadvantages to doing a shorter program? The program that I am particularly interested in seems to be very concentrated in material, whereas the Bachelor's program seems to have a lot of courses that are irrelevant for Web Development.

To give you an idea this is the college program that I am interested in. It has a list of "Course Descriptions" and "What You Will Learn" at the bottom.

And then this is the only Bachelor's program available in my area. However, I am also missing admission requirements as in high school I wasn't a very good student and I don't know if they would take my 4.0 GPA with a BA into consideration.

If you've read this far, thank you! But I also have a few more questions that, judging by other forums, are very difficult to answer:

1. How in demand are jobs in this field?
    2. What is the starting salary? Average salary? There seems to be a lot of disagreement...
    3. What is your opinion on freelance work? Just good for on the side or possible to make a living wage?

Thank you, I really appreciate any input. I'm trying to decide between this and law school. I think I'd be a lot happier doing this, but law school is certainly tempting as well.

There is alot web development demand already you pick the right career

How about journalism? Its more of writing and creating interesting stuffs when you build websites depending on your campaign.

If which course that's your heart dectates, you go for that.

Thanks for the replies everyone I certainly find Web Development a much more interesting career than law, but I'm concerned about pay. There are so many varying opinions on the internet, everything from a starting pay of $40,000 to $64,000. Are these anywhere near what the starting pay is? Does it depend on education? On that note, what kind of education does one need to become a Web Developer? A portfolio? An Associate's Degree? A BA?

Thanks

Thread Information