www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please give me suggestions

Red face Please give me suggestions

Here is the site I own: http://run-3.com Please give me suggestions . I'd be happy if you criticized it .

Jerky and not responsive to keys, kept either falling through the slots or off the board.

I would say you need to measure the key stroke length and make jumps proportional to the length of time that the character jumps.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thank you very much

Run 1 is pretty nice game. i like it. keep up the good work.

Since you seem to be asking about the site, NOT the game, I'll talk the site.

Your max-width is too small -- making that image chart effectively useless; said chart would probably be better as an actual table on the page.

The uselessly undersized content fonts are a major accessibility failure, exacerbated by the use of px metrics so they don't auto-enlarge for users with different default sizes. The WCAG says to use %/em for a reason, I suggest you do so... and if you were to make the fonts dynamic, you should likely do the same to your max-width. Users like myself are just automatically diving for the zoom.

Your colour contrasts are also questionable when it comes to legibility, particularly the dark grey on grey menu which is likely invisible to a significant portion of visitors.

The really thin webfonts aren't helping on that front either -- While on OSX where everything is automatically bold and blurry it's ok, but freetype and cleartype are making an already difficult situation (the tiny font sizes and colour contrasts) even worse because of it. Even the #555252 grey on white, which is usually adequate, turns into an illegible mess thanks to subpixel hinting lightening the colour significantly on the thin font glyphs.

It's also odd that the social icons in the footer are way off outside the parent container -- not sure if that's intentional or not, but I don't like it. The footer also feels really awkward, I'd consider moving it outside the parent container entirely so it's consistent in appearance with your header and menu placement... that or remove the padding around it. It looks like you may have padded it's parent, which if that's the width restricting container, I REALLY advise against... Hmm, do I smell bootcrap?

That said, apart from the accessibility issues (which given how simple the layout is) you have a clean simple layout -- keep that part, just fix the rest.

In terms of speed the page is painful -- even taking into account the flash game. (as proven by disabling flash). It's a whopping 2.2 megabytes in 81 files, and that's a problem for such a really simple page. While the 33 images (for what?) can be blamed on the social media plugins, only about ten of the scripts -- where the majority of the bloat lies -- can say the same. Of course the jQuery for nothing on the page can be blamed for much of it, as can the use of bootstrap (oh, I'm good, I saw that one coming) which is also a significant contributor to the massive amount of CSS on a page that shouldn't even need 10k of CSS, much less the whopping 200k in 8 files present there.

... peeking under the hood, it's even worse with the static scripting and CSS in the markup, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes for nothing, P+STRONG+EM+SPAN doing H2 or H3's job (ouch, all four, REALLY?), misuse of what headings you have (an HTML 5 hallmark), and 18k of markup to deliver 5k of plaintext and one flash embed -- possibly as much as twice the markup as should have been used. You don't even have blockquote around your quotes...

I mean look at this:
    Code:
    <p><strong><em>Main modes and characteristics</em></strong></p>
    <p><span style="font-size: xx-large;">Main modes and characteristics</span></p>
    Why is that there twice? It's one devil of a mess for what should simply be (guessing on the heading level):

Code:
    <h4>Main modes and characteristics</h4>
    Abuse of that many tags with meaning and static style could even get you slapped down by search engines.

Though, it also appears to be wordpress for nothing; since there's no real blog here I'm wondering why you'd waste the overhead of a CMS on it. Much of the garbage markup can be blamed on Wordpress, but combining the already disastrous "I can haz intarnets" of wordpress with bootstrap, which by it's very nature defeats the entire reason to even use HTML and CSS in the first place? It's got problems... and with WP in the mix, many of those problems are going to be VERY hard to fix.

At the very least, I'd suggest axing the webfonts and easing up on the number of social media plugins. Social promotion is great, but you start to hit upon diminishing returns as too many of them can take too long to load. Stick with the big three -- G+, FB, Twitter, axe the rest. Seriously, do people even use Pinterest? (from the 'likes' that have been clicked on, I'd say not!)

But really, I'd suggest as I often do tossing it and starting over from scratch -- without Wordpress (there's no reason to waste overhead on it for something this simple unless you're adding a blog later), without Bootstrap, and without jQuery... Keeping those in place is just going to make it harder to fix the issues I outlined.

It is very much what I expect when I see a HTML 5 doctype, Wordpress, Bootstrap and jQuery, and sadly that's not a good thing.

woaw! It's wonderfull game.. I love it.. I suggest you android version for this game? It's possible?

Thread Information