www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Changing A Select Statement

Changing A Select Statement

Hi guys.

I wanted to create a quiz for my website. I have found some code from a website called (getcode.org) (prev world of webcraft).

The quiz now works as it should and I'm very happy it does. There is one problem I have adapited it to the needs of my website. The website is an learning aid for people like myself who suffer from Dyscaculia and its foucing on Fractions. I have added in 80 question into the database and at the moment the PHP/SQL code is selecting all of the question from the database.

I only want each quiz to contain 20 questions per quiz.

Code:
    $singleSQL = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM questions WHERE id='$question' LIMIT 1");
    		while($row = mysql_fetch_array($singleSQL)){
    			$id = $row['id'];
    			$thisQuestion = $row['question'];
    			$type = $row['type'];
    			$question_id = $row['question_id'];
    			$q = '<h2>'.$thisQuestion.'</h2>';
    			$sql2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM answers WHERE question_id='$question' ORDER BY rand()");
    			while($row2 = mysql_fetch_array($sql2)){
    				$answer = $row2['answer'];
    				$correct = $row2['correct'];
    				$answers .= '<label style="cursor:pointer;"><input type="radio" name="rads" value="'.$correct.'">'.$answer.'</label> 
    				<input type="hidden" id="qid" value="'.$id.'" name="qid"><br /><br />
    				';

}
    			$output = ''.$q.','.$answers.',<span id="btnSpan"><button onclick="post_answer()">Submit</button></span>';
    			echo $output;
    Is there anyway, how I can just state in the SQL code to only select 20 questions from the "questions" table and to have them in a random order so each quiz will contain 20 different questions each time a user takes the quiz?

Here is the specific line of code that is the concern

This is taking the questions from the questions table

Code:
    $singleSQL = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM questions WHERE id='$question' LIMIT 1");
    And this is the code that is taking the answers from the answers table and putting the answers in a ramdom order each time the questions are displayed

Code:
    $sql2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM answers WHERE question_id='$question' ORDER BY rand()");
    Any help would be much appreciated

any ideas folks? 188 views and no replays?

PHP Code:
    $singleSQL mysql_query("SELECT * FROM questions WHERE id='$question' ORDER BY rand() LIMIT 20;"); 
    Is something like this what you're looking for?

Please not that you shouldn't use mysql_ functions, they're outdated, insecure, and soon to be removed from PHP and your site will likely stop working.

You should use mysqli_ or PDO instead.
    Also remember to clean variables passed by the client before inserting them into an SQL string to prevent your site being hacked.

hi thanks for this but its still not showing the questions in a random way at all.... its still going from question 1 to question 80 still

If you want 20 random rows:
    Code:
    SELECT ... ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 20
    There are some more efficient (and more complicated) ways to do this, but for the scale we're talking about here (~100 questions to randomly sort), it's probably not worth worrying about and prematurely optimizing it.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

ok I will have a try and see if that works

Thread Information