www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which HTML should I learn?

Which HTML should I learn?

I am confused about this one. HTML 5 is the most recent version of it, but for some reason, it still isn't completely supported. I have no previous experience with any of them. If I started learning HTML 4.01 now, is it going to become obsolete by the time I can use it well?

And if I start with HTML 5, would I miss out on any important stuff I could have learned in HTML 4.01?

Thanks in advance!
    Share on Google+

Start with the basics of HTML5, i.e. ignore the new stuff (at least at first). That way you wont learn code that is deprecated in 5. When you have a good grasp of the basics, you can start learning the new stuff, but focus on the parts that are widely supported by the major browsers. Also bear in mind that your code needs to degrade gracefully on browsers that do not support the new stuff. E.g. Media queries (or media-specific style sheets) are a must-have for responsive coding, but bear in mind that IE8 and below do not understand them. So your site must work predictably on IE8, albeit without the responsiveness.
    Share on Google+

Very well explained. Thanks.
    Share on Google+

I say learn HTML 4.01 STRICT FIRST, because HTML 5 is a "superset" of HTML 4, which means most everything you learn with the current recommendation (4.01 Strict) can be applied and used in HTML 5.

Though if you learn 4 STRICT first, and learn to use it properly, you'll quickly find that HTML 5 offers no real legitimate improvements, and in many ways is carefully crafted to undo fifteen years of progress... to the point it's a bit shocking anyone who actually knows what HTML is and how to use it would choose HTML 5 by choice.

Also, be leery when people talk about things like responsive layout, media queries, etc, in the same breath as HTML 5, as those are CSS3, not HTML 5, have nothing to do with writing markup, and are more an attempt to use HTML 5 as a sick buzzword than it is a legitimate use of the term. There is NO reason you can't do all those things with HTML 4.01 STRICT and/or XHTML 1.0 Strict. (which are basically the same thing with a couple minor syntax changes).

Of course, you take all the cool stuff from CSS3 and the new JavaScript that people call HTML 5 and isn't, and remove it from "HTML 5" -- there is little if anything of value or improvement. The people trying to promote that bloated, redundant halfwit garbage slap all the cool stuff that has NOTHING to do with a markup specification under the "HTML 5" banner because without it... Well, the Emperor is standing there bare for the world to see.

The only things from 5 I'd suggest spending any time on is AUDIO, VIDEO, CANVAS and MANIFEST. The first two are redundant to HTML 4's OBJECT element and are basically shoved down our throats thanks to Apple's sour grapes over losing the media formats war over a decade ago and freetards raging against the machine. Manifest is actually useful if you want to build web applications... and CANVAS is more a javascript thing, only works when JS is enabled -- which is why it has NO BUSINESS even having a tag in the specification in the first place.

Basically, you want to learn to do it right, learn semantic HTML 4 Strict, and only look at HTML 5 if you need some of it's crap to support Apple users being told they don't actually own the computers they bought, or are going to dive into web applications. Learn about semantic markup -- aka using the tags for what they mean... and learn about separation of presentation from content.

... and the big mantra to keep in your mind -- if you choose your HTML tags based on their default appearance, you're using the wrong tags for all the wrong meanings. Just as if you are saying what something looks like in your HTML, you're doing it all wrong.
    Share on Google+

DS is right, I was assuming you meant HTML5/CSS3 when you asked about HTML5. CSS3 works in HTML4 as well as 5, but whether DS likes it or not, HTML5 is the future, warts and all.
    Share on Google+

you need to learn html5 and CSS3 ... it helps a lot for your career ...
    Share on Google+

Thanks guys. I can see the bigger picture now. You have all been a great help to me.
    Share on Google+

You should learn the version that is currently embraced by the W3C as a Standard. That would be HTML 4.01, and CSS2. Knowing those will position you well for a segue into HTML5 and CSS3 (neither of which are so different than what you have learned already), as soon as they become the standard.

You can get a great deal of information from the www.w3schools.com site about these.
    Share on Google+

Start with basic HTML then move towards HTML5, CSS & jquery. I think it's a best solution for you.
    Share on Google+

According to me learn from HTML 4.01 because of HTML 5 is the advanced versions of HTML 4.01.

First you learn the basic structure of HTML 4.01 and then you will move on to HTML 5.

Without the knowledge of HTML 4.01, learn HTML 5 can confused you.
    Share on Google+

I suggest you to first learn the version in which you are comfortable and easily write the all tag. I also start learning from 4.01, and firstly learn the basic structure of HTML 4.01, be expert in first version then move to other version.
    Share on Google+

I am sorry but HTML5 has nothing to do with media queries which are CSS3 functions.

To use HTML5 elements in browsers < IE9 you can use https://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/ which will just create new elements that can be styled.

Responsiveness has also nothing to do with HTML5, this is pure CSS that does make it happen.
    Share on Google+

Hi there,

In my opinion the latest CSS3 and HTML5 are the best options to learn. All reputed organizations and HTML developers prefer these. Go for it Bro.
    Share on Google+

dear! now a days html5 and css3 is very popular for web designing. so try to learn these tools .
    Share on Google+

Its qute easy to learn HTML 5 after learning last version of it and then start learning CSS , jquery, php
    Share on Google+

Thread Information