Hi all

I'm just dipping my toe into the world of mobile web site development for the very first time and have made a little headway and created a really simple bit of code as follows:

HTML Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width" />
<title></title>
<style>
  body	{
    background-color: #CCCCCC;  
	font-size: 12px;
  }

@media (max-width: 360px) {
  body	{
    background-color: #999999;  
	font-size: 16px;
  }

.mycontent {
    width: 75%;
    background-color:#00ff90;
    color:navy;
    border:2px solid darkblue;
    padding:2px;
  }
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
    <div class="mycontent">
        Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! 
        Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! Hello World! 
    </div>
</body>
</html>
This simply displays the above text without any formatting and fills the screen width *except* if the window becomes less than 360 pixels wide, at which point the Media Query kicks in and it changes the style of the 'mycontent' box and changes the background color too. It's basic stuff (though shiny and new to me).

My query is, when I look at this page on my Android HTC One S device, a device that is 540 pixels wide - the alternate style sheet is clicking in and displaying the page as if it's 360 pixels wide. If I change this:

@media (max-width: 360px)

..to be 359 pixels or less, the alternate style sheet instantly stops working and the text is plain and fills the screen again. I just can't understand why it's doing this though and if I can't figure this out I just know I'll be getting lost further down the line once I start coding more complex stuff! I would have thought that I'd have needed the figure "540" in the above Media Query code before it started displaying the alternate style sheet on my phone.

Can anyone help?

cheers