www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Mysql Data - On click -display dv

Mysql Data - On click -display dv

Hi ,
    Am creating a simple PHP page that displays employee info.
    I am retrieving data from Mysql .
    The main div displays employee id .When I click on the emp id - it should display details in another div.

Am enclosing the code - pls help.

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Employee</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="7s.css">

<div id="center">
    <?php
    $dbhost = 'localhost';
    $dbuser = 'root';
    $dbpass = 'testuser';
    $conn = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass);
    if(! $conn )
    {
    die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
    }
    $sql = 'SELECT * FROM employee';
    mysql_select_db('test');
    $retval = mysql_query( $sql, $conn );

$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($retval);

echo "Total count $num_rows \n";

if(! $retval )
    {
    die('Could not get data: ' . mysql_error());
    }

echo " <table>
    <tr>
    <hr>
    </tr>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($retval, MYSQL_ASSOC))

{

echo "Employee id";
    echo "<td style ='font:18px/21px Arial,tahoma,sans-serif;color:red'>" . $row['emp_id'] . "</td>";
    $prod=$row['emp_name'];
    echo " <table>
    <tr>
    <hr>
    </tr>";

echo '<div id="left" ;display:none;>';
    echo 'Details';
    echo "<hr>";
    echo $prod;
    echo '</div>';

}
    mysql_close($conn);
    ?>
    <input type="button" name="answer" value="Documents" onclick="showDiv()" />

</div>
    </div>

<script>

function showDiv() {
    document.getElementById('left').style.display = "block";
    }
    function showDoc() {
    document.getElementById('mar').style.display = "block";
    }

</script>
    </head>

</html>

1 - why the table wrapped around the hr tag?
    2 - your table elements are jumbled. Be very careful about building each row.
    3 - you output a div while in the middle of a table without any table-oriented tags. NG!
    4 - you have an id of left on ALL of you hidden divs. Your js function is trying to locate THE element with an id of left but there are multiples. This will not work as you expect.
    5 - Re-think your design. Waaay too much stuff on this page to be clicking just one id and displaying its related items.

Lastly - you wrote this page? Good for you - as many posters here don't even try before asking for help. But - when you wrote this page did you do some research on how to perform your database queries? Did you use the official PHP manual? Did you happen to look up the syntax for connecting to the db? Did you look up the reference to running a query or any other of those MySQL_* functions you used???? IF YOU DID WHY DID YOU NOT NOTICE THE BIG NOTICES SAYING NOT TO USE THEM ANY MORE??? Switch NOW to mysqlI or PDO to access your db.

Great first(?) effort! Keep on trying, but you have a lot of learning to do on how to review your code and making sure it makes sense. I could correct all of this code for you, but you really need to go thru that cycle in order to learn.

Keep on trucking!
    JG
    PS - If you're posting here you should be using:

error_reporting(E_ALL | E_NOTICE);
    ini_set('display_errors', '1');

at the top of ALL php code while you develop it!

Thanks ,ginergm ! Appreciate your response.

First of all, admit that this code is messy .
    I am trying to create a basic page -then will cleanup the code.

What will help me is some pointers as to what design/functions I should use .
    Its more like a master- data display. It sound simple but am trying to code after a long break.
    Its a little struggle for me and am trying to do it quick.

Let me rephrase my need:
    Say 2 divs first -employee id and name . Second- details of employee. Am using Mysql-HTML-JS-php
    Is there any tips I can get on the design. Am little lost .Any reading material will also help.

1 - clean up now. Do not wait. Haste makes waste they say. Remember? A basic page - this is anything but.

2 - you have a design in mind, it's just not well implemented. As I said - re-think it. Perhaps show ONLY the table that contains some identifying criteria - maybe name and id or name, dept, id. Then handle each line as a form with a submit button that calls your details script which will display a second page showing the details of that form's id only. Add to the detail screen a return button that upon successful update of the detail data (or completion of the review if R/O) will regenerate the initial page with a re-run of the query and display the table again.

3 - good practice would be to write your scripts so that the php stuff is first and separate from your presentation(html) code. Let the php generate vars that contain your query results (the table perhaps?) and then let the presentation block of code output all the page's html as well as the generated vars. Makes for better reading, maintenance later. Read the manual on the use of 'heredocs' to output large amounts of html which can ALSO include php vars, without necessitating bunches of <?....?> tags in the middle of the html.
    JG
    PS - If you're posting here you should be using:

error_reporting(E_ALL | E_NOTICE);
    ini_set('display_errors', '1');

at the top of ALL php code while you develop it!

Thread Information