www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What do you think about Herogami?

What do you think about Herogami?

Hello,
    I work in a little creative studio and we are developing a cloud-based Kanban tool: Herogami. I would be really happy if you can spend a minute to take a look and tell me what do you think about it.
    www.herogami.com

Thank you!

I liked it dude.. Very clean, very smooth..

In terms of what it's for -- would probably mean something if I had any clue what a "Kanban" was.

In terms of the site itself, it's got a number of the common failings in design common when the graphics are placed ahead of usability; the fixed width non-responsive layout for starters. Fixed widths have always been rubbish -- good layouts should be semi-fluid and elastic -- but with a significant portion of web traffic coming from the smaller displays of mobile and the introduction of 4K displays, being elastic, semi-fluid and now responsive is more important than ever... It just makes single fixed width design an even bigger steaming pile than it already was.

Mated to that are the fixed metric fonts --- aka font sizes declared in pixels... it can then never be elastic and sends users like myself diving for the zoom. Likewise the goofy webfonts might look good when OSX's crappy renderer blurs the hell out of things, but it makes damned near every character on windows look like a rendering error. Webfonts really need to be used with an eyedropper, not a paint roller -- as such I'd take at the very least the copy and drop it back to a system font stack instead.

Structurally, even with the pointless HTML 5 bloat crap in the way, the use of numbered headings is gibberish. You're pairing H2+h3 and H3+H4 when they lower level heading isn't the start of a new subsection of the page. This is really true on the H4 that shouldn't be heading text in the first place, looks like they should be paragraphs.

Really the markup screams "take some time to learn more about HTML and semantic markup".

... and really the whole "tabbed sections" below on casual browsing provides no suggestion there even are other bits of the page to be shown. That's really counterintuitive and kind-of reeks of trying stuff too much onto one page. I'd probably either break that into subpages, or find a better way to arrange the content -- or even pitch a lot of the redundant content in the trash.

So... needs some work. Not sure I'd go as far as my usual suggestion of "pitch it in the trash and start over", but there are a lot of corrections to the markup I'd make, in addition to redesigning it into something EVERYONE can actually use, instead of the screen the "designer" just so happened to be magically seated in front of.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by Code-tard View Post
    I liked it dude.. Very clean, very smooth..
    Thank you! I'm really happy to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    In terms of what it's for -- would probably mean something if I had any clue what a "Kanban" was.

So... needs some work. Not sure I'd go as far as my usual suggestion of "pitch it in the trash and start over", but there are a lot of corrections to the markup I'd make, in addition to redesigning it into something EVERYONE can actually use, instead of the screen the "designer" just so happened to be magically seated in front of.
    Thanks a lot deathshadow! Your suggestions are really appreciated and i want to thank you for the time you spent to look at Herogami I will share your suggestions with all the (little) team and we will do our best to improve the website

Thread Information