www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need guidance--and a good web developer ;)

Need guidance--and a good web developer ;)

I currently have my e-commerce site hosted by my web developer...I know...big mistake.

I plan to have my web developer transfer the files (they are charging $2,800 to do this) to an outside host where I have a huge credit.

I want to know if there is any value to doing this if it turns out I don't own the source code (they say I do but I am having a lawyer check my contract as I am not certain). They developed this website using proprietary software, admin panel, etc.--not open source.

My goal is to have my website made more user friendly with a new developer using something like prestashop (anyone out there a pro a prestashop?) and be able to do some of the updates myself (on my current site it is very difficult).

If I find out I don't own the source code, is there any value to my transferring the files to a new host (godaddy). Is there anything in them that a new web developer can use even if we have to build a new site from scratch? I am okay, I guess, if I have to pay this $2,800 if it helps me going forward to have the files in my hands even if it turns out I don't own the code.

Would really appreciate your advice.
    Thanks,
    Lily

If they want twenty-eight hundred just to give you control of your own site, my advice would be:

1) Share who the sleazeballs are here so we can warn people away from such an obvious scam.

2) Take control of the domain name only, then pay someone to make a new site since for 2800 you could probably get someone moderately qualified to build you something open, giving you access to the code and helping you set up your own hosting... with probably enough left over for a really nice night on the town.

Sadly most off the shelf e-commerce software are inaccessible poorly written train wrecks, prestashop being no exception on that -- so I'd say you may be better off with a custom solution -- but if you are thinking about a new developer with an off the shelf open source solution, REALLY DO NOT JUST HAND MONEY TO THE SLEAZY SCAM ARTISTS who got you in the saddle and took you for a ride.

If they're going to use copyright or contract to not let you use the code, DO NOT GIVE THEM A DAMNED THING!

... and be sure to take them down a few pegs by sharing the experience as many places as possible clearly stating who it was that pulled this type of vendor lock-in bull.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    If they want twenty-eight hundred just to give you control of your own site, my advice would be:

... and be sure to take them down a few pegs by sharing the experience as many places as possible clearly stating who it was that pulled this type of vendor lock-in bull.
    You are 100% correct. My problem is where to go from here. Thank you for the wisdom and I would be quite happy to share plenty about them--including their name and the principals I dealt with, if this does not go smoothly.

Thread Information