dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Input element fails in 3 of 7 browsers.

resolved [RESOLVED] Input element fails in 3 of 7 browsers.

Hi ya'll, newbie to the forum.
    I've stumped myself or I'm blind...
    My element below Fails in 3 of 7 browsers.
    The failures are Chrome, FF & SeaMonkey. ALL good in Safari, IE, Opera & Maxthon.

HTML Code:
    <input type="button" name="type id 'captcha-failed'" value="Test Captcha Warning " style="position:absolute; margin-left:10px; margin-top:10px; z-index:0;" onclick="setVisibility('captcha-failed');"/>
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The value for "name" could not have spaces in html4, but can in html5. I suspect you're running into quirks of the browsers allowing/disallowing it, but I'm not sure why you'd put spaces in there to begin with. Just get rid of the spaces.

Thanks tracknut. I thought that also. It's not the spaces. I've tested both ways - results are identical.

Oh, in addition the page Validates in bothW3.org & WDG

Theres a lot there I'd question -- the spaces and quotes in the name, the style attribute that really doesn't belong in any markup, the absolute positioning (which could wreak all sorts of havoc), margins instead of positioning... the zero index which isn't supported in older browsers (pre CSS 2.1 flavors can't do zero or negative values), and of course the onclick since GOOD scripting should hook the markup, NOT the other way around.

Though it could also be elements around it interfering; you're using z-index, that's a pretty good indicator you've got other stuff interfering with it. Could we see the rest of the page that is on?

Just from the CSS alone methinks you overcomplicated something simple, but that's a wild guess without seeing the rest of it.

Thanks deathshadow.
    I'll add to the CSS for it.
    I just don't like going back & forth while developing. The element z-index was at zero because I had completed testing layer visibility. That didn't provide a solution!
    I did, however, just disable all other elements on the page and it is working in all browsers now. So, I'll fire up the other elements 1x1 and see where that gets me.
    Thanks for the nudge!

I'll follow up with my solution...

Yup, CSS conflict. **RESOLVED**

Thread Information