www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: CSS Font

Question CSS Font

Forum:

I am currently working on a web page that consists of three frames. The main problem I am having is with the banner frame. I have the frame properties set to limit the size of the banner, and have used CSS to specifiy the desired font (absolute). The problem is, when I use a different brower, e.g. Netscape or Molliza, it allows me to change the font size. This causes the text to become to large/small, and screws up the formatting on frame (meaning some things hide).

The main problem is that I have turned the "scrolling" featurew off on the frame make the page look better, and now I just want to control the font size on the banner page so the formatting will look correct on any browser...any ideas?

Thanks,
    kscottj

Re: CSS Font

Originally posted by kscottj
    The problem is, when I use a different brower, e.g. Netscape or Molliza, it allows me to change the font size.
    It's a bug in IE currently that the user cant override the webpage fontsize. They are supposed to be able to do that.

.any ideas?
    Yes, don't make a webpage that breaks when a user does somthing as simple as change their to their prefered font-size.
    If you give an url people here could possible offer a good suggestion or two in your specific case.
    // Stefan Huszics

Thank you for you comments:

I too do not wish to limit the users' ability, but what choice do i have? If there is a way to capture when the users has changed the font, then tell the page to refresh with a different frame size.. then I would happily do it. Example--

For instance, have a variable for the banner frame hieght...
    <frameset rows="VARIABLE,*" frameborder="0" framespacing="0" border="0">
    <frame name="banner" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" target="contents" src="banner1.htm">
    <frameset cols="167,*">
    <frame name="contents" target="menu" src="menu.htm">
    <frame name="main" src="intro.htm">
    </frameset>
    <noframes>

Is this the correct way to go about this?

-KSJ

There is no way you can put the banner section into the normal page and make it only a 2 frame setup instead?

The reason I ask is if even if you get the JavaScript working, what will happen if the user don't have JavaScript turned on or uses a browser without JS entirely?

BTW, that is some severly broken HTML you are using there, with a lot of incorrect values & attributes. Try something like this instead.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
    <head>
    <title>Blabla</title>
    </head>
    <frameset cols="100, 1*" border="0"> <!-- border="0" is a bugfix for IE, NS as well as Opera -->
    <frame name="nav" src="nav.html" frameborder="0" marginwidth="1" marginheight="1" scrolling="auto" />
    <frame name="main" src="home.html" frameborder="0" marginwidth="1" marginheight="1" scrolling="auto" />
    <noframes>
    <body>

<p>
    Frames are not working in your Browser.<br />
    If you have Frames turned off, please turn it on to view this site.
    </p>
    </body>
    </noframes>
    </frameset>
    </html>
    // Stefan Huszics

Thread Information