www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh almighty search engine...LIST ME!

Oh almighty search engine...LIST ME!

I think that this new forum will give significant help to developers. I am not sure though, that successful retrieval of domain names and web site content is guarantied by careful coding and included text guides to bots. MONEY is the key for higher listing. I am quite new to web development (just a few years) and I am now more confused about the whole process than when I started. I canít figure out why it takes months for a search engine to list the contents of a web site. Is it the vastness of the internet, the huge amount of data that a search engine has to process or is it the complexity of content validation that is performed (if performed)?

from personal experience and from talking to many people over the years, I am positive that you don't need to spend money to be listed in the search eninges -- at least to be rated well in Google.

The new Yahoo search engine is asking for payment to be guaranteed inclusion -- or, more precisely, -- to be guaranteed to be regularly spidered.

But Google's main search results are all done "organically" -- that is, by Google's spider crawling aruond and indexing pages.

Yes, you can gain benefit from buying Google Ad Words -- but those ads don't affect how you do in the search results.

We created this forum because there is a lot you can do to improve your site's rankings and we hope to help people learn them.

DMOZ.org is a big human edited directory. If you get onto dmoz, you will most likely be on google. You should also submit your site to www.alltheweb.com it is another good search engine. In time if you are on dmoz do not be supprised to find your site on aol, msn, and others if your site is search engine friendly.

Yes DMOZ is the best Directory to get listed in by far... Because it is open-source; mainly unbiased and does not give preference to corporate sites or advertisements - well that is according to the DMOZ Editor Guidelines.

DMOZ is run by volunteers so there's always the human factor but the people who aer doing it care about making the directory accurate and comphreneisve.

from my experience the £200 yahoo express inclusion fee is the quickest way to get google(bot) to visit your site. Dmoz, for all it's size, human input, and weighting should be seen as simply a bonus to be listed in (definately worth doing for any additional page rank points it may provide). My experience is from a commerical background so £200 to be listed in 7 days (plus a week or so for google to notice) provides a quicker turnaround than dmoz which can take months.

While alltheweb, msn, etc are great to be listed on, it's googles ability to drive a much higher proportion of traffic than it's markt share dictates to sites that really impresses me.

Cheers
    it's a jungle out there

http://www.beyondthebrand.co.uk

Yahoo express wouldn't help wtih Google -- they are arch-rivals these days
    - Gus

Hi Gus,

ok, thought it was just the web results yahoo had dropped from google, didn't realise there had been a complete cut-off.

So is dmoz the only directory that google looks at now?

Matto
    it's a jungle out there

If you want google to pick up your site then just post a few links to it here - clickable ones for preference.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

cheers dave - have just figured out how to do that (i think.....).

can you chaps recommend any other discussion forums that are worth registering with to get a feel for whats going on in the search engine marketing world? (not that i'd wish to use them instead of this one - just furthering the grey matter!)
    it's a jungle out there

offhand I think

www.searchenginewatch.com is everything a guy needs...
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

ok they don't seem to have a forum there... just loads of info.

you could try http://www.jimworld.com/apps/webmaster.forums/

http://www.searchengine-optimization.nu/phpBB/

Originally posted by Robert Wellock
    Yes DMOZ is the best Directory to get listed in by far... Because it is open-source; mainly unbiased and does not give preference to corporate sites or advertisements - well that is according to the DMOZ Editor Guidelines.
    I am editor a games --> clans / guilds The descript needs to be accurate, we edit them if they are not, make them accurate. If the site has very little content or is under contstruction and full of 404s it just sits in the pile of unlisted... waiting. We also move sites around a lot to get them into a proper categoy. I do the clans but we get clans that play shooter games and we can find a better categor for that... clans --> shooter, and if they play one game we can put them in that games clan category. So it really is pretty darned organized.

Search Engine Help

I refuse to pay for SEO. And I'll tell you why: I code my pages, check for (free) site optimization through Sitescreamer.com and keep up on the newest developments...I taught myself SEO and now I know what I'm doing. In the year since I've been doing this stuff, the companies I SEO, code and design for enjoy top placement. Some are on the top page of Google, others are within the first 4 pages. Yahoo, I'm loving their algorithm because I'm top page on every single search topic.
    Now, one or two of the companies are thinking about paying for placement, and while I'll let them, I challenge you to learn which meta tags work for you pages. Do the research and devote just a little time yourself, and you'll be surprised just how well you do. My philosophy is not to give another company power over a site you control if you can help it.
    Why do sites take so long to index? It's because there are BILLIONS of sites out there. Just make sure you have a decent set of meta tags, pick your words carefully and keep learning.
    Personally, I will not look at Ad-Words or paid listings, because I think that they had to pay to get those good rankings, and that I would not be interested in that.
    Hope this helps!

Let me clear up a few things here.

Yahoo has a brand new search engine that uses Inktomi and Overture results. They have dropped Google completely.

You can no longer submit to Inktomi or AlltheWeb, as Yahoo has dumped them into a new program at Overture called Site Match that fuses paid inclusion and pay per click together (so you have to pay twice).

The rumor is that AlltheWeb and AltaVista will soon disappear, eaten by Yahoo.

Google uses a lot of smaller directories and search engines, including DMOZ. DMOZ is not doing too well right now because the volunteer editors are getting too far behind. It also seems to be having server problems.

Google is still free, except for the AdWords and AdSense advertising campaigns.

The key to good positioning on the search engines is having excellent meta tags and keywords in your content. And, submitting your site to ALL relevant search engines and directories. They description and keywords tags do not have to be on every page, unless you are selling products.

I disagree with Stargal in that why bother learning SEO when there are people like myself who do nothing but SEO all day long? You web developers and designers (and business owners) have enough to do without having to learn a whole new field.
    Anita G Cohen-Williams
    Search Engine Optimizer/Guru
    http://www.mysearchguru.com
    "Get Your Web Site Noticed!"

Thread Information