www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Connect my website to aptana

Question Connect my website to aptana

Hello,

I own a website, and i don't want to have to wait for my developer for each change i need.
    so i installed Aptana
    And i want to be able to make basic changes for example changing spelling or grammar.

how do i connect Aptana to my website so i should be able to make changes?

I am not a web developer, all i know is my godaddy.com account name and password, and i know that my website is written in php

thank you for your help in advance

What's Aptana?
    JG
    PS - If you're posting here you should be using:

error_reporting(E_ALL | E_NOTICE);
    ini_set('display_errors', '1');

at the top of ALL php code while you develop it!

Hey cttim,

Dude newbie to newbie let me break it down for you brother....

1. As a newbie, rule 1 o 1.. YOU NEVER EVER screw with the original... EVER!!!! are we clear

Your going to need to do this in 2 or 3 steps (programs)

Step 1. Take content off your website.. to PC as a second copy to work on/modify

Step 2. Modify content in Editor

Step 3. Test content before replacing web originals...

Detailed

Step 1. You need to use an FTP program like Filezilla to do this.. by far the most popular/free ftp

Screen Shot

Step 2. You already understand!

Step 3. PHP testing is a little tricky, it only works online.. to get around that you make a mini server on your PC
    with a program called XAMPP by Apache.. pick the right one for your PC... Will take some time/newbie stuffing around....

Download links: FileZilla and XAMPP

YouTube: both + Tutorials for endless demos

Sorry mate not as easy as you hoped

Closing note: Do not mess with the online original!.. Your code editor "Aptana" may make code corrections it thinks are errors or inefficient, you dont notice.. It doesnt work.. what will you do then??... You beat he'll make you pay double for the clean up while laughing in your face!!!!

note: Ive assumed you"re using some form of Microsoft Windows? and to the old crew.. when the hell did XAMPP get to 120mb??? last play was 1.7 at 60mb?

Extra note.. dragging content off website is a 2nd a copy.. dragging content back onto website is replacing!

Seriously, as a newbie knowing nothing about HTML, let alone PHP, do not muck about with the live site. It may seem simple to edit the text, but mistakes happen. And when one does you will not be able to put it right, 'cos you do not know what is wrong in the first place!!!

So you would need to set-up an off-line development area with a copy of the site to work on. Only, just one copy is not enough. You need to keep an unedited copy of the current live version, in case you screw-up big time and need to step-back and start the edit again. Then, if you are doing extensive changes, you may wish to do it in stages. If so you may need to keep interim versions. So if you have to step back you do not loose all the work you have done.

Then you have the problem of updating the live site. If it is a small site, with only a handful of pages, you may want to do a total refresh, but for a larger site that may well be impractical. If so, you may need to keep track of every page you have edited to know which ones to replace. Very soon you may find yourself spending too much time working on the site whilst your business goes down the pan because you've taken your eyes off the ball!

So, perhaps you are approaching the problem the wrong way. Why are spelling and grammatical errors getting live in the first place? And rather than doing your developer's job for him/her, perhaps you should be managing him/her better? Is there a beta test area set up to allow updates to be tested before they go live? If not, why not? If there is a beta test area set up, why aren't you using it to check for spelling and grammatical errors (as well as coding bugs)?
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 07-23-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Thread Information