dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please review my site kanopi.com

Please review my site kanopi.com

We launched in May...please review www.kanopi.com

No. Just No.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay to long to load on iPhone on WiFi.

Minutes followed by more minutes of load time. Then when you scroll down the page there's more minutes of load time.

Your landing page needs to load almost instantly. I don't care if it's desktop or mobile. I want to see it NOW. Not minutes from now.

better then what I can do

*** WARNING *** I'm going to be brutally frank with you. If you didn't want to hear a opinion, you shouldn't have asked. Think of this as your Gordon Ramsey treatment of what's wrong with your resteraunt.

-------------------------------------

Yeah, the page load time is painful at best... and the cause is obvious -- 96 separate files totaling almost three megabytes. Much of that is -- sorry to say -- what I typically call PSD jockey ineptitude and "gee ain't it neat" scripttardery.

As evidenced by the 69 separate image files totaling 1.7 megabytes on a site that near as I can tell has only two dozen actual content images... mated to 782k of CSS in 13 separate files for christmas only knows what.

Even the CSS sizes are some 'holy hannah' territory; 13 separate files totalling 273k cannot be explained by any other reason than whoever made your template not knowing enough about HTML or CSS to be making templates in the first place. Site like that, I very much doubt that for what it's doing right now it needs more than 32k of CSS in one file for the entire site!

The attempt at responsive layout is quite broken, most likely from the use of fixed layout design concepts that to be frank, have no blasted business in a site template in the first place. Worse, the fixed metric fonts and goofy webfont for nothing sure as shine-ola isn't helping matters on the accessibility front.

Though honestly, it's very much what I've come to expect when garbage like Bootstrap and jQuery is used to make a site.... and that's before I even peek at the markup...

Which popping the bonnet to have a look-see, it's a total disaster -- no doctype so browsers that have quirks mode are in quirks mode, broken favicon methodologies, endless pointless stylesheets for christmas only knows what, jquery and bootstrap nonsense, the latter pissing all over the markup with presentational 'classes for nothing', static scripting in the markup, static style in the markup, endless pointless DIV for nothing, little if anything remotely resembling semantic markup, paragraphs doing numbered heading's job, paragraphs doing LABEL's job, non-breaking spaces doing padding's job, the STYLE tag inside BODY where it's invalid, Paragraphs around non-paragraph text, attributes like TARGET that have no business on any website written after 1997, empty ALT text, form elements that aren't even inside a FORM, gibberish use of what few numbered headings are even on the page, presentational images in the markup... I could go on for quite a long while about everything that basically makes it the long list of "HTML, what's that?"

Which is why it's wasting 82k of markup on 5k of plaintext and maybe two dozen content images -- easily six to eight times as much code as should have been used on such a simple layout.

Bottom line, it's a laundry list of how not to build a website and an inaccessible train wreck -- my advice would be to throw that entire mess away and start over from scratch, as there's little if anything I'd try to salvage from it. It's bloated, slow, and not all that useful to visitors on anything other than the magical combination of screen size and resolution the "designer" happened to be seated in front of. In the process I'd HIGHLY advise that you throw the scripted nonsense in the trash, and avoid frameworks like jQuery and Bootstrap since they are a significant contributor to all the problems I outlined above.

Especially bootcrap, do yourself a favor, find a stick and scrape that off your heel.

Thread Information