dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Web development / project management communication tools (Asana?)

Web development / project management communication tools (Asana?)

Hi all,

Website development often requires screenshots, revised screenshots, comments / feedback / discussion etc. Email sucks for this so can anyone suggest any good tools? Ideally I would like

1) a URL for a particular topic showing any entries in chronological order

2) the ability to upload screenshots

3) privacy settings that allow me to decide whether a particular URL requires a sign in

4) connected to #3 - no requirement for people to sign up for an account (eg a Google account or whatever) except maybe for advanced functionality

Email might still be ok for some short comments etc as long as the main content ie what is being discussed is in the URL.

I could do this with either forum software (as used by webdeveloper.com) or my own website but can anyone please suggest any good tools? I am thinking of things like asana.com although I am not sure yet if asana can do my 1 -4 above.

Thanks...

For talking to the clients as text I always just use instant messaging. Good client like Trillian or Pidgen has logging addressing your first issue -- seeing the discussion in 'logical order'. For quick one-off images you can typically send them via the messenger, and the better client software supports all the major formats people might have on the other end.

In addition to passing screenshots via messenger, just use a normal server account. When you can get a ridiculously overpowered VPS for less than ten bucks a month these days, there's no reason to use anything more complex; same goes for actual live code previews (which I often use rather than waste time making the dozen or so screenshots needed to even come CLOSE to previewing a responsive layout) -- you want to password protect it, htpasswd is typically overkill.

But again, I'm not a fan of a lot of the 'integrated tools' as to me, well... they just mean poor organization skills.

Thread Information