www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Web Development/php code - create complex survey tool

Web Development/php code - create complex survey tool

I'm looking to develop the following type of survey - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28062001
    The aim is to complete the survey and at the end instead of a 'sport' that you are suitable for it would be a car that 'matches' to what answers you give in the survey. I'm good at the graphics but need some help or advise or plugins that I can use with relative ease?

This will be for marketing purposes to help drive engagement and then for the user to then share on their social networks - for example someone may fill the survey in and it turns out that a Porsche is matched to their profile - so they would be 'inclined' to share with their friends..

The deisgn and front end is fine - however I'm wanting a script to be written to suit.

Help and thoughts on easiest way to do this please :-)
    Many thanks
    Alexis

It's not our job to spec out your project. It's your baby - write your own design. Research your own tools and write some code. THEN if you have trouble ask for help. How are we supposed to know what you want to do when we've never given the idea a single thought?

PS - I think perhaps the graphics would be the last thing to worry about.
    JG
    PS - If you're posting here you should be using:

error_reporting(E_ALL | E_NOTICE);
    ini_set('display_errors', '1');

at the top of ALL php code while you develop it!

Unless the quiz is a complete sham, I'd suggest you may need the assistance of a professional psychologist (or whoever) to write the questions and to codify the interpretation of the answers. Turning that logic into an algorithm is the easy part.

Quizzes are popular. Anyone on Facebook notices those Buzzfeed quizzes being shared all the time.

From what I've read, you want a "sexy and interactive" survey tool. This is actually pretty easy to do and mostly done with JavaScript and a couple libraries.

jQuery is the library you want to use. It's the core script you'll need.
    Then jQueryUI is an addon you can use (http://jqueryui.com/). It's great for sliders and such. All cross browser compatible.
    If you're looking for responsiveness, Bootstrap is awesome. (http://getbootstrap.com/) - you can make the right floating column with the affix component.
    Markup and style your quiz, and when you're done you have two options: PHP Form or AJAX request. If you're taking the "damn this is a sexy and interactive survey" route, Ajax is the route you'll want to take. jQuery has decent documentation on Ajax requests. Simply request a PHP file from your ajax request with the variables you want to send to PHP, and your PHP script can then do the math, query a database or just return a basic message.

Cheers

Kalob
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 08-01-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: advertising link removed-please do not repeat

Thread Information