dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Looking for suggestions

Looking for suggestions

Hello

This is both my first post and my introduction
    I am a disabled VET and I am getting back into websites (for myself)
    Itís been several years since I created any so I am sure I have a lot to relearn
    I am looking for 2 things and any positive and helpful input (not a sales pitch)
    Is greatly welcome

ONE
    I bought a few domains that I want to make into forums
    I am doing research now on forum software
    I want something pretty low maintenance and not a pain and certainly nothing that has a lot of problems.
    I am looking for input, what have you tried, liked or hated and why to help me with my choice

TWO
    For some other domains I have I was looking at WP (but will always consider other) since itís pretty easy to get started in and seems popular
    For some of the other websites I want to make I am open to suggestions on software, themes, templets etc. as long as they are fairly easy to use

Biggest thing I have a problem finding is a theme or templet that does the following;

A few pages as a normal website

A page where people can search for a specific item, person, skill from a simple table that I can maintain separate and upload a new version of the table as I add or delete when updating

For the search I want to be able to create a drop-down or auto fill based on the columns
    Forgive me if I donít phrase it the way you experienced developers do but rather in a laymen way

I want on this search /filer page NOT to show everything or everyone in my table or chart
    But rather to be able to go across the top and pick from a drop down each of the following them press go (search/filter) whatever
    Country City Product Service ONE TWO THREE ETC

So I can basically pick the additional I want to substitute later for ONE, TWO, THREE, ETC

Bottom line I donít want everything or anything to show until they hit the GO, SEND, SEARCH button

Then I want it to show all applicable items, products, service providers etc
    I hope this makes sense
    I donít want anything overly complicated as there are often ways or justifications for why each of you do it ďyour wayĒ. But I want it the KISS (keep it simple stupid) way

A good example of this one is a real-estate website
    You put in what you want
    City, area, how many floors, how many bedrooms, etc
    And hit search and there you go

Thatís probably the best example for the last need I can come up with

For ONE and TWO above i want something that does not over complicate if there is 1 member or 10 million
    of it the table in TWO has 1 or 10 million items, people, services etc to go through as an example

Just looking for the easiest way and best software to get there with easiest learning curb while remaining simple
    hopefully one or two software packages or themes will get me there so i can get started and up and running sooner

Thanks again in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond in a positive way

wow, over 160 views but not a single suggestion.

That's what happens when a subject line doesn't give any detail as to the content of the post. Folks have to open it up and read it, regardless of whether they have anything useful to add.

As tracknut has said, you've not done yourself any favors with the title, and mixing your introduction with your questions gives the wrong impression. But the biggest issue is the fact that we work best with specific coding issue. No one can tell you what sites to develop, if that is what you were asking (I glazed over part-way through...). So I've moved this thread to the Coffee Lounge, and suggest you re-post your questions in a clear and succinct way with a meaningful title. Who knows, you might then get a better response...

PS Welcome to Web Developer...

Thanks

I found another site just for forum software (its also a forum)

Got the forum side worked out

Basically i was looking for software for making a forum for 10 of my domains

Was also looking for a theme or templet for the developing the other 70

But i have gotten lots of feed back on the other websites so i think i got it covered

thanks again

Thread Information