dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Hosting and Domains for clients

Hosting and Domains for clients

So ive made my own websites using free hosts which isn't a problem for myself,but if i was creating a site for a client how would it work? Would i hosts for them and add it to the bill or let them set it up for themselfs. I ask this because if always wondered how the price ing works. Would you have to get in contact with them every year to get them to renew there domains for example. Surly if you were paying for hosting on lots of clients it would be in practical.

If you want to code and run - then assist then in setting it up themselves.

If you want to maintain an ongoing business relationship do as much for them as you can for as long as you can.

So you wouldnt set it up for them then charge them each year for renewal?

There are different levels of involvement to suit different relationships:

1. You provide the hosting, handle all renewals, and bill them for it. Requires you to have professional level of hosting, and expertise to put it right when it goes wrong. Not a good idea if you don't know one end of a web server from the other! Client is totally dependent upon you. Enables you to provide a level of hand-holding that some less experienced clients may appreciate.

2. Hosting is arranged commercially through you as an agent. Less day-to-day hassle for you, but you handle the renewals and can act as intermediary if/when problems arise.

3. Hosting is arranged commercially by the client. You just have access to maintain and update the site. Least hassle for you, and suits more web-aware clients (who may have been ripped off in the past with lousy hosting at inflated prices).

Ok thanks this is something ive always been curious about ive never made a website for a paid client so i never new how to sort this kind of thing out. So if you set it up you would be chasing up people when renewal are ul

If they don't renew their web site goes down... So they'd be chasing you.

On the other hand - if you do full service you'll know months in advance it's time to renew.... Then there's the part about paying many years in advance for domain names.

Thread Information