www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Website Review...

Website Review...

I built a personal website several months ago and recently decided I should tweak it ALOT!!!! I have procrastinated on starting because I'm not sure what I'm going to do. While I'm sure you guys will tear my site apart, I will take the constructive criticism and put it to good use.

www.geocities.com/thevancleavefamily

Yes, I know that geocities sucks...and I'm looking for a new host. (Willing to pay for a good one).

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    i'll try and be gentle. The idea of frams has become so popular recently, but has seemingly been misused. Because you are just having amenu on your left frame, you can simply make a javascript generated menu into a .js file, and put it on your pages.

Doing this might ruin your centering (alignment), so you might want to look into using css for this, probably could make the site look mor eprofessional, had you done the above two.

I'll only put one more, so the criticism really never sinks in: the under construction has to stop. The stats are final but users rarely return to sites that are under construction, and less than 50% of them (as i recall, poorly of course) actually ever do changed the content from this message.

Maybe what you would want to do is on your frame (or menu), simply prevent users from clicking the link to pages that are under construction, by adding the </a> tag right before the text to display. And on the home page, message might want to be chamged to: "This page is constantly being enhanced" or in that area.

Awesome,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definately take those to heart and make some changes. Anyone else got some good constructive criticism?

Any good hosts would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Originally posted by steelersfan88
    i'll try and be gentle. The idea of frams has become so popular recently, but has seemingly been misused. Because you are just having amenu on your left frame, you can simply make a javascript generated menu into a .js file, and put it on your pages.
    And if a person views the site with JavaScript disabled? Oops. Why do something client side when you can do it server side and thus you make sure it can't be disabled? Use SSI, PHP, ASP/ASP.NET, etc. to create the menu and include it in your actual page.

I think the first thing you need to do is go grab a Doctype and add it to your site. After that, go to the W3C validator and begin to weed through your errors(even the non-Goecities infested version of the code). If you have questions about the errors, let us know.

Scroll down on this thread to see some host worth checking out.

Doctype link and W3C validator link are in my signature.

If I were you, I'd improve on your navigation. I would ditch the frames, but if you're intent on haning onto them, I'd still have buttons/links that move from one page to the next and a 'home' link/button on every page.

Your images take quite some time to load up on a dial-up connection, I'd use thumbnails as clickable links to enlarge the images which would make your pages load quicker (if I remember correctly images should be less than 26k). That also included background images, again, I'd be inclined to use one background for the entire site (or better still, just use a colour to improve download time).

If you're only writing a small site, you may want to consider www.freewebs.com for hosting...no popup ads (just one line to say that they host your site). That said there isn't a lot of bandwidth, but it might be okay for your needs.

Also, remembered this link, it's an old article but still with some very relevant points on why not to use frames:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

HTH
    Last edited by screaming_banjo; 03-11-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Thread Information