dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website off center at bottom?

Website off center at bottom?

Hello, I am not a web developer, yet I have been tasked with troubleshooting our company site prior to paying for an actual developer. Here is the issue.

On our website at the bottom, all text and banners are off center. THIS ONLY IS THIS WAY IN IE. Using other browsers is fine. The company that does contracting for us claimed it was simply a compatibility issue, which...ok, but we need people to be able to see the website in IE. What, if anything can be done, or do you see anything that stands out that may be helpful for me when tryin to line this up in IE? Here is a screen shot and the website is bhcpartners.org
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps30a9704c.png

Only breaks for me in IE if I run it in IE7 mode -- which if that's the truly the case and it's okay in IE8 and later, I would not lose a whole lot of sleep about it. (If your company is still using IE7, it's really, really time to update. )

The only two HTML validation errors I get are for missing "alt" attributes in a couple img tags, which should have no bearing on this issue.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Only breaks for me in IE if I run it in IE7 mode -- which if that's the truly the case and it's okay in IE8 and later, I would not lose a whole lot of sleep about it. (If your company is still using IE7, it's really, really time to update. )

The only two HTML validation errors I get are for missing "alt" attributes in a couple img tags, which should have no bearing on this issue.
    What do you mean "the only breaks for me" is it not off center for you? Everyone uses IE in our company. The lowest one we have is IE 8 most people are on IE 10 or 11. And this is an issue and our CEO wants everyone to be able to see the site the way it is supposed to be, without being off centered. Sorry for my ignorance. So you do not see what could be causing the text at the bottom to be off centered? What is usually the fix or off centered text, but only on some browsers?

I looked at it (http://bhcpartners.org/user/29) in IE 11 and it looked fine. I hit F12 and put it into IE8 mode, and still looked okay. Put it into IE7 mode and then saw the misalignment similar to the image you posted. However, in IE, check your "Tools => Compatibility View settings" menu option. If you have the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" option checked and are viewing the page from within that intranet, it will essentially be in IE7 mode. If you really need to support this mode, then I'll leave it to someone here with the time (and deeper old-IE knowledge than mine) to see if there's a fix.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Also, I am currently using IE 11, still off, tried IE 10 and still off.

I looked at it (http://bhcpartners.org/user/29) in IE 11 and it looked fine. I hit F12 and put it into IE8 mode, and still looked okay. Put it into IE7 mode and then saw the misalignment similar to the image you posted. However, in IE, check your "Tools => Compatibility View settings" menu option. If you have the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" option checked and are viewing the page from within that intranet, it will essentially be in IE7 mode. If you really need to support this mode, then I'll leave it to someone here with the time (and deeper old-IE knowledge than mine) to see if there's a fix.
    Thanks for the response. The screen shot I posted was using IE 11. Compatibility mode will work for me, but what about the community who attempt to aces the site at home? The should be able to view a correct site. Not everyone understands compatibility view. I am not sure how you can see this fine. As I said I JUST tried on IE 10, off center. IE 11 (which is from the screenshot) off center. Honestly, I haven't seen IE 7 in..I don't know how long and I know for a fact no one in our agency is using it. The CEO (who emailed about the issue) was using IE 10 when he noticed. I am looking now, IE 11 and it isn't centered.

The problem is not the website or any coding on it. It doesn't need "fixing." The problem is IE's annoying "feature" known as Compatibility View. Turn that off on the browser(s) and voila, problem fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2 View Post
    The problem is not the website or any coding on it. It doesn't need "fixing." The problem is IE's annoying "feature" known as Compatibility View. Turn that off on the browser(s) and voila, problem fixed.
    So just normal everyday people that do not work here should just know about compatibility view? Sorry, but there has to be a way to fix it. We cannot expect the general public to tinker around with their browser in order to view the website in its correct state

And I turned off compatibility view and it is still exactly the same.

So is that the answer? Just put flyers on telephone poles letting the general public know that if they want to view our website that they need to be in compatibility view????

Well, the vast majority of people in the world are not on your intranet ( ), so unless they specifically add your domain to be run in compatibility view, it shouldn't be an issue for anyone not within your intranet. That being said, that does not mean there isn't some fix (or kludge) that will fix it in that view; but the question is whether it's worth worrying about for the very small fraction of users (e.g., mainly within your intranet) who would see it. If you need to have it work in your local environment for anyone in the company using IE (which, of course, is probably the worst browser to be using ), then I'm sure there is some change that will address your problem: worst case being some ugly use of IE conditional tags.

eBookworm.us

I'll second NogDog. Unless you are willing to get your hands dirty in some pretty messy (albeit valid) code, it's probably not worth the effort. And even if you could "fix" it you'll probably end up breaking something else -- and that would be for all browsers, not just IE running in compatibility mode.

That stated, something bothers me about why you can't seem to get IE to see your page correctly with Compatibility View OFF (ON breaks it). Did you refresh (F5) the page after turning it OFF? Should have included that in my first post... oops.

Well, the vast majority of people in the world are not on your intranet ( ), so unless they specifically add your domain to be run in compatibility view, it shouldn't be an issue for anyone not within your intranet. That being said, that does not mean there isn't some fix (or kludge) that will fix it in that view; but the question is whether it's worth worrying about for the very small fraction of users (e.g., mainly within your intranet) who would see it. If you need to have it work in your local environment for anyone in the company using IE (which, of course, is probably the worst browser to be using ), then I'm sure there is some change that will address your problem: worst case being some ugly use of IE conditional tags.
    We do not have an intranet. This is just a typical website that anyone can access

So, is us NOT being on an intranet not an issue? It seems like you think we are using an intranet, we are not

I don't mean to be a dick but, this is a web developer forum. I a confused that no one has a solution other than "compatibility mode". That makes no difference. We do not use an intranet. The whole reason I came to this forum was becaue I got the same "use another version or browser" answer from OUR IT consultant. Crazy. Again.

Thread Information