www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: XML, Ajax

XML, Ajax

Can someone, please, thoroughly and... "in English" explain what XML is and what is it used for? When I look online they're like "storing data, sharing data, bla bla" but what's the practical use of it? Does it have practical use without Javascript? I've learned Javascript, by the way, so I thought I'd move on to Ajax. But I found that first I need to learn XML itself and the courses I've found online so far are just terrible. I checked out an ajax tutorial as well and it's all like "here's a bunch of code and we're not gonna explain any of it". So if someone could recommend a good online FREE course, tutorial, whatever that can get me started on XML, and Ajax afterwards. Would be very helpful, thanks!

Even though it's a bit long-in-the-tooth now, this helped me with XML:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/rea...roduction-xml/

Thank you very much!
    Exactly what I needed!

Note that many of us prefer to use JSON instead of XML for a lot of AJAX-type things (AJAJ?), but XML is still a very good thing to know about if you plan on working in software in general and web apps in particular.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Although people do seem to prefer JSON, RSS is XML. I have yet to see one in JSON
    MY BLOG:
    HTML Code:
    <a href="http://teststuff.freehostingcloud.com">click here to read my game progress</a>

Yep, since RSS is, at its heart, an XML standard.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information