dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: IE's Developer Tools?

IE's Developer Tools?

Hey guys,

With focus on IE as its more temperamental in older versions than the others.. am questioning how reliable/accurate the emulator is for previewing older browser versions?...

Having fully reformatted laptop to factory (Win7 IE 9) - Using that to test my project (html5 & css/3) with shiv but local only.. then viewing as either IE 7, 8 & 9, would clearly display a degrade heading down...

Did full update so now IE 11.. testing the same project IE 6 - 11.. now looks awesome in any version???........

So IE9 showed poorer quality in older browser versions.. and IE11 shows awesome in all?... So who do I beleive.. was 9 displaying without the shiv or is 11 just wrong?...

Anything wisdom would help.. ty

IE 11 has made leaps and bounds in it's emulation of older browsers, but if you are SERIOUSLY going to test them don't trust it.

The in-IE emulations are 'cute' for a quick check, but they still differ from the real deal in a number of ways. IE9's emulation was flawed in that it ignored IE CC's in emulation and didn't swap out the JavaScript engine. IE11 on the other hand will obey CC's in emulation (laughable since IE10 and 11 do NOT obey CC's normally) and also respond properly to various quirks and CSS hacks.

But really you want to test, you need the real deal and that's why if you REALLY care about it, install a VM like VirtualBox, install multiple versions of Windows (old install disks and serials aren't too hard to find, especially if like me you recycle/salvage old laptops people are throwing away) and test in the actual browsers in what is their most likely environment. It's also a good idea to install a linux flavor as well as a hackintosh distro so you can test other browsers as well; Safari no longer having a modern Windows version, Linux and OSX having different fonts and rendering technologies, Firefox behaving radically different on a lot of things under OSuX than it does in Linsux and Winblows, etc, etc... I even go so far as to check iCab.

Same goes for if you are on Linsux or OSuX, you can run Winblows in a window using VirtualBox or VMWare so as to test how IE and the Windows way of doing things behaves.

VM's are a Pesci-send when it comes to testing. It takes a lot of time to set up, but once you've got a full suite in place you'll find that it pays it back many times over and it can actually improve your workflow. Just as not using a tabbed editor and instead having multiple separate editor windows on multiple displays can further enhance the development process.

It also opens the door to playing with some of the more fun OS out there without having to play with partitions, rebooting, etc, etc... even when they're not quite ready for prime-time and/or just exist as experiments -- See Haiku, Aros, Menuet64, etc.

Though this is more of a client-side question than server-side...

Dude you're just a god damn animal.. ANIMAL!... ... Big thank you for such detailed info and ending my confusion.. and going above and beyond with all the fantastic suggestions of alternative methods, greatly appreciated and will do.. ty mate

Thread Information