dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: The best present for a developer? your help will be highly appreciated :)

Red face The best present for a developer? your help will be highly appreciated :)

Hello there~

So I am not a developer myself, and I am very sorry to intrude, but you see, I really need your help.

To make it short, my husband is a developer, and I would really love to buy him something nice, I did some research but - to be honest- I am lost...

I like to buy him something every once in a while, but I would love to start getting him things related to web developing rather than just the casual stuff, anything that would make his work go smoother may be, or even stuff that will light up his enthusiasm.. I don't know... all your suggestions will be very highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Speed things up with a Solid State Disk (SSD), maybe?

Depends on your budget.

You might consider an external Hard Drive so that he can back up data to it.

Nice comfy desk chair is very important, especially one that can recline.

Uplighter for softer lighting so that your eyes don't suffer, it is very bad to look at any monitor in a darkened room for too long, I had a very freaky experience a few years back, I don't know how long I had been looking at my monitor in the dark but something distracted me and I looked away from my screen and all I could see was the following

\INVALID INPUT::

so now I always have a secondary light source, an uplighter because the light is much more relaxing.

Wireless mouse and keyboard, I used to get fed up of the mouse cable getting tangled and the wires for both keyboard and mouse are never long enough so I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse, best purchase I have ever made.

Lots of paper and quality gel pens for jotting ideas down, sometimes development requires some kind of manual / written work, thrashing out code on a PC is all well and good but you have to have some plan of sorts.

Printer, a reasonable Laser printer if all he has is an inkjet, these start from around 80
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thank you!

Your reply was very helpful

Have a great day...

If he doesn't already have them, and his system supports them, then dual monitors are almost essential for a developer. Many systems, even laptops, support a second monitor that can be used to extend the desktop. The added screen acreage really matters when you have multiple windows open at the same time. Three is even better, but few systems support a third monitor.

I'd agree on the second monitor -- hell I'd even suggest a third if they already have two (though depending on the system that may or may not be supported). More screen real-estate is ALWAYS a good thing.

I never thought about the second monitor, he doesn't have one...

Thank you so much!

Ooooh Oooooh, here is another one for when he falls asleep at the PC and ends up drooling over the keyboard... an Air Horn, really that's for you to signal its time for bed!
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    Ooooh Oooooh, here is another one for when he falls asleep at the PC and ends up drooling over the keyboard... an Air Horn, really that's for you to signal its time for bed!
    I particularly LOVE this last one It is as hard as it can get to convince him its bed time..

I really got a whole lot of perfect ideas from you all, thanks!

Thread Information