www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to display input text in IE

How to display input text in IE

Hello
    I am learning to make a website and I want to display the inputted text next to it input box. It works for Chrome but in IE it won't display. What should I do?

This is what I have now
    HTML Code:
    <div style="width:5000px;height:100px;border:0px; background-image:url('file://E:/DR Liq website/ccliquidation_files/image604.png'); background-repeat:no-repeat;"> <p class="main">
    &nbsp;&nbsp;Lot XXXX &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7/14/2014 to 7/18/2014 5:00 pm EST &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<b>Closed</b>
    </p>
    <p class="main">
    <form oninput="bidbox.value=parseInt(bid.value)">
    Enter/Change Bid:
    <input type="text" name="Fname" id="bid"> <input type="submit" value="Submit"> Your Bid: $<output name="bidbox" for="bid"> </output>
    </form>

The output tag is not supported in IE. I've been developing sites for 8 years now and I've never even seen that tag!

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_output.asp

I see thank you

Do you know what I can do to get it to output text that the user enters that works across all the browsers?

A bit ugly code-wise but it works:

Code:
    <form>
    Enter/Change Bid:
    <input type="text" name="Fname" id="bid" oninput="bidbox.innerHTML=this.value"> <input type="submit" value="Submit"> Your Bid: $<span id="bidbox"></span>
    </form>
    Now, if you want to force even dollar amounts this also works, although fractions may be submitted depending on your form handler:

Code:
    <form>
    Enter/Change Bid:
    <input type="number" name="Fname" id="bid" oninput="bidbox.innerHTML=parseInt(this.value)"> <input type="submit" value="Submit"> Your Bid: $<span id="bidbox">0</span>.00
    </form>
    EDIT:
    Caveat: oninput is a HTML5 form attribute and may not work in IE9-. For sure IE8- is a nogo.
    Last edited by Kevin2; 08-22-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Change it to a span and modifying your code a little should work. Try this:

Code:
    <div style="width:5000px;height:100px;border:0px; background-image:url('file://E:/DR Liq website/ccliquidation_files/image604.png'); background-repeat:no-repeat;"> <p class="main">
    &nbsp;&nbsp;Lot XXXX &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7/14/2014 to 7/18/2014 5:00 pm EST &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<b>Closed</b>
    </p>
    <p class="main">
    <form oninput="document.getElementById('bidbox').innerHTML=parseInt(document.getElementById('bid').value)">
    Enter/Change Bid:
    <input type="text" name="Fname" id="bid"> <input type="submit" value="Submit"> Your Bid: $<span name="bidbox" id="bidbox"> </span>
    </form>

@cbVision: A couple of geniuses we are

oninput is also too new and unrecognized, so that won't work -- AND it does NOT go on FORM, it goes on the input.

Though like most onevent attributes it really has no business in the markup and you should be adding the event from the scripting. Which of course is also a laugh since 'oninput' is for the most part redundant to 'onkeypress' ...well, other than the fact it trips when you 'paste' which onkeypress does not.

Of course, I'm wondering what's with the non-breaking spaces, static style in the markup, lack of labels, gibberish form markup, paragraphs around stuff that doesn't seem to be grammatical paragraphs and why you'd be making an extra copy of what the user is typing in for no good reason...

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but I'm reasonably sure it falls into the "gee ain't it neat" scripting and "doesn't belong on a website in the first place" categories. Like a lot of things HTML 5 and JavaScript...

Thank you Kevin2 and cbVision, I will give it a try.

Deathshadow - I am a student. I wanted to try and make something for a project I am working on.

Is this what you're looking for?

https://angularjs.org/ (Scroll down to 'The Basics')

By adding <!DOCTYPE html> padding works grand for me in IE8. Take the following code as an example:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <style>
    #myInput {
    padding: 10px;
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <input id="myInput" value="Some text here!" />
    </body>