www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Simple CMS Idea, any good tutorials for me?

Simple CMS Idea, any good tutorials for me?

Hello,

I would like to create a very simple CMS that would allow visitors to register a profile and I am curious if there are any good tutorials for me to look into because I have no PHP knowledge as of yet. Here are the features would like to accomplish...

- Profile Registration (full name, email, username, password)

- Vanity URLs... I would a new page created (like a profile) for all registrants. However, e.g., if my site is example.com I would like their profile to be located at example.com/username

- Appearance... I would like for only the registrants username to automatically appear on their profile page, wherever I choose to have it appear....

This simple CMS can save me a ton of time and I believe that I can accomplish a lot with HTML and CSS to make it look the way I want. For now, I will manually make all other edits manually until I can afford to hire a programmer to add all sorts of features. However, this would be great for now. If I can accomplish this with existing open-source platforms (codeigniter, wordpeess, joomla etc) I would really appreciate some input and/or tutorial links. My goals are to learn all of this very soon so I do not seem like I am only here to seek help and to save money. That said, all input appreciated in advance. Thanks!

WordPress and Joomla ARE CMSs. Why do you want to write a CMS with them??? Why write a CMS anyway??? There are plenty already available, simple and complex. Google simple CMS system and take your pick!!!

I would however exercise caution with a CMS called SimpleCMS, something that I am not going to go into great detail about but my experience of getting support for it was not what I expected.

In short, I found delving in to the database a superuser account and the login listener I put in place showed that their was attempted logins to the CMS by IP address ranges that corresponded to various moderators of the CMS support site.

It was very strange that a perfectly working install suddenly developed a problem that didn't appear in a secondary install in a different part of the website. The lack of support for the fault and the suggestion by several members (moderators) that I pay for support in to the problem only set off alarm bells.

I also found that SimpleCMS was written using another CMS tool called smarty CMS.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Oh, no! I was not referring to a CMS called "Simple CMS" I literally meant a SIMPLE (basic) CMS. I was told that drupal has these capabilities out of the box with the help of some "modules" but I am not having great luck. If there are any good tutorials to watch that would be cool, I am having trouble them.

What I was referring to was that SimpleCMS is written using smarty CMS which provides the framework for it.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information