www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Stalker threatening friend through my website!! Ideas?

Exclamation Stalker threatening friend through my website!! Ideas?

Hi all,

First of all any advice is very much appreciated.

A stalker has been harassing a person I know quite badly, including threatening her life. This person has been stalking threw medium like LinkedIn & Facebook to the point where she has had to close down her accounts on these websites. When she did this the stalker moved on to emailing family members & friends from hushmail & other services, none of us have any idea who this could be.

I have some basic web/php/linux skills and I host a bunch of sites already, so I created a word-press blog for her with the purpose of luring the stalker to this site, logging the IP address in the apache logs, and at a minimum, finding out their geographic location. Additionally I installed a contact form plugin which also collects IP address information.

To my amazement, the stalker actually found the site, and has now submitted in excess of 12 contact forms with more threatening comments, unfortunately each time it is always the same class C subnet which is obfuscating their true IP address.

We have submitted all this information to the police, and they have said this block of IP address' belongs to a routing company - we are still waiting for more information but it sounds unlikely anything will happen here.

Considering I could put my own JavaScript or PHP easily into the website/form, does anyone have any ideas to obtain more information about this user? They are clicking buttons on a website of mine, on my web-server (I own the server and configured the OS - have total control) so it is very frustrating we cannot find anymore information out.

Does anyone has any ideas about what sort of information we could collect, and how? All I can come up with is currently logged in user, and machine name. I intend to try and only collect information if the user is coming from this known subnet, as I do not want to invade anyone else's privacy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

-J

If they have evidence of these threats then they need to take the matter to the police, any threat to life is a serious offence no matter what country you live in.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

A Class C network is a home router, without knowing how your friend is hosting, it would be difficult to comment but if they have a Class C IP address then they are most likely on a machine connected to the same network.
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!

Hi guys,

Class C does not refer to whether the address is a private or a routable public address, it simply refers to a subnet that shares the first, second, and third octets. It would have 254 address', IE 203.14.25.x.

Really the question is more geared towards what sort of information is able to be obtained by the browser/website. Apache logs only give me things like browser version. This may be the wrong forum, I'm probably looking for more programming ideas like JavaScript & PHP.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_geolocation.asp

??

Don't know how to get that information to the server for logging/evidence purposes though. Perhaps it could be incorporated into your contact form. Someone else I'm sure is smarter than me on that.
    Last edited by Kevin2; 08-28-2014 at 06:59 PM.

When she did this the stalker moved on to emailing family members & friends from hushmail & other services, none of us have any idea who this could be.
    Sounds like someone she knows and has had access to her computer... I bet she knows who the person is.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound....."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

I'll bet this guy would be interested in some encryption technology. Put an advertisement in front of him, offering a free encryption key, to be delivered via text message. If he takes the bait, you've got his phone number.

Not sure if this is legal. You might want to check that out before doing it.

You still haven't said if your friend is hosting their web server from a home connection or not, Class C networks are SOHO set ups where the address range is limited to addresses in the 192.0.0.0 to 223.255.255.255 IP address range, typically a home office router will be set to 192.168.1.1 but different manufacturers have different addressing ranges for their networks. but all comply to the same standards for small office networks.

Now, if your friend is hosting from home and they use WiFi on their PC and / or router or both, if now WPA/PSK encryption key has been set to make it a secure access, the hack can easily access the PC and / or router, even if they are not serving web pages from their home PC, if they are running any kind of WiFi in AdHoc mode, anyone with a wifi card on their PC or laptop in range can access the PC and could be sharing or using the internet connection your friend is paying for in addition to terrorizing them, which is pretty serious as well as telecoms theft on top of that as well, you need to ask your friend about their network set up.

If they do have an open WiFi, they need to secure it, if they chose a SSID like FBI_VAN3 and a 64 hex character password, your casual caller might get spooked when they can't access and has to scan for any WiFi in the area.

Thread Information