dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating a Web for the operations of my company

Lightbulb Creating a Web for the operations of my company

Hi team!

I want to create a website where you can find the important day-to-day operations information of my company, right now this information is in word files and in the minds of the different teams.

It's a company that provides servers and SAP support, operations in US and MX -

Basically the web will include: visual reference to the main systems and services that must be considered to be accurate when we assign work to each other team, operation updates for every team, basic information that will be very valuable for new members to understand our operation quickly and also to increase the communication about the schedule of the systems every team has for maintenance, this way the teams are aware of what does not need to be looked ove. Additionally teams should be able to upload the troubleshoots used by every team

PURPOSE is to increase efficiency, decrease possibility of mistakes that impact the customer, increase communication and basically create the network to understand the whole operation and be able to change positions as needed by the company or to acquire hires and make it simple and easy for everyone to work.

I wanted to use wordpress, do you think this is a good idea?
    I want the support team leaders and backups to have access to modify info easily and a selected few only

Please toss your ideas

Think creatively while you making a website. It is good planning process of web designing.

Agreed with afra

Quote Originally Posted by aframalik View Post
    Think creatively while you making a website. It is good planning process of web designing.

Yes, but I do not have much coding experience, basically I'm looking for advice if wordpress would be great for it or I need to use dreamweaver?

Add info:
    I need a site that is easy to modify for everyone via Web, and if I used Dreamweaver everyone would need to download DW, did I deliver the point?

Basically I'm creating a more visual and minimalistic wikipedia with plugins, which will only be modified by people with assigned rights

What you are seeking to do is create a knowledge base. So DW is out for a start. I have no experience of WP but I would expect that you need a wicki, not a general-purpose site-builder.

However, my concern is that you may be underestimating the adverse impact on the company that diverting resources to create a knowledge base could have. You may also be overestimating how useful the KB would be in practice. I was tasked to build a KB, having successfully written and implemented a work logging/management system. It failed. Why? Because it never got past a small test development. The test showed that the work involved in documenting a common task (determining the cause and implementing the solution for the failure of a very simple piece of equipment) was astronomic if every step was documented, and of little use if it was not!!!

So there are major structural issues to be resolved:
    - Who decides the level of detail that tasks will be documented to?
    - Who chooses the search key words?
    - Who controls the proliferation of synonyms (which cause searches to fail)?
    - What quality controls on additions/amendments to the KB will be implemented? Bad info can be worse than none!
    - How will the development of the KB be structured to identify and minimize any adverse impact on day-to-day workflow?
    - What review process will be implemented to ensure that the development stays on track, and/or can be aborted with minimal waste of resources if it does go off the rails...
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 09-01-2014 at 03:13 PM.

You need to start with initial planning like how you going to make website.

You should make first sketches discuss with your colleagues etc

Thread Information