www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Processing and reporting user input

Smile Processing and reporting user input

Hi all,

I am planning to build a software where people can login and submit answers to the questions displayed on the UI. The answers from the user will be processed and finally a report is to be generated which can be downloaded by the user.

Could anyone please give me some pointers to start with. Need some help to start with.

I'd suggest that, unless you already know HTML CSS and PHP, you use this as a project to learn. Where do you start? Well there are plenty of basic introductions on the web, so search around a bit. You might like W3S, though it's not without flaws. But to get you started, here's my take on it...

1. Web sites are written in HTML using an ordinary text editor, or a utility that generates the text for you. Writing the HTML yourself is preferable in the long run, but using site generators give quicker, but inferior, results.

2. The HTML is divided into pages.

3. The first page (often known as the "home" page) is generally called "index.html".

4. Links are used to navigate from one page to another. These are often found in a separate DIV called the "nav-bar" (or similar), and in the footer.

5. EVERY HTML page has a variant of the following basic structure:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html lang="en">
    <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
    <meta name="description" content="--page description goes here--">
    <meta name="keywords" content="--page keywords go here--">
    <title>--page title goes here--</title>
    </html><body>
    <h1>--page heading goes here--</h1>
    <div id="container">
    <div id="nav-bar">
    --navigation links go here--
    </div>
    <div id="content">
    <p>--first paragraph goes here--</p>
    <p>--add paragraphs as required--</p>
    </div>
    <!-- end of container --></div>
    </body>
    Note: The DIV "container" is not necessary in all cases, but is often used.

6. On its own the HTML does not look much, but getting it right is important. HTML gives the page structure and content. Styling it to make it look attractive is CSS's job. Whilst PHP can enhance the maintainability of the web site, and enable interactions with a database. JavaScript (which should be left to last) adds bells and whistles...
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 09-03-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Hello jedaisoul, thank you for the response.

I am using Eclipse WDT for writing the html, css, js and php codes. I have designed the interface and also worked on the db connection. I am writing to create a session now.

Could you please guide me with the server side scripting part? I want to make the question answer session time based. Upon submitting one answer I want to display the next question. I will store the response from the user and process all of them when the submit button is clicked.

If you had said that in the first place you would have saved me wasting an hour or so of my time.

Not surprisingly, my further assistance will be brief: RTFM (for whatever database you will be interfacing to)...

Sorry jedaisoul I am sure, people in need will definitely benefit from your writing. I too promise to copy some snippet of your code in my final files

It would be great if you could tell me how would I query the db and keep the questions in memory and show them one by one per click on the next button. And also, please tell me the approach that should be taken to keep the answers in memory and process them when the user clicks on submit.

Thread Information