www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AAA and 508

AAA and 508

I have designed a website which is valid xhtml and css. I am now wondering how to find out the things you have to do too get aaa and 508. I only have a remote copy just now and all the validators such as cyntia says and bobby only let you do it if you have it on the server. I have added access keys to the main navigation and alt and title tags on every link and image.

In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

hey thanks for the link mate.

Cheers again

Just remember that these are just tools, and accessibility isn't like code - even if these sites say you pass, they are no comparison for a human eye.

Personal website http://www.ryanbrill.com/
    Business website: http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/
    TypeSpace http://www.typespace.org/

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

yea, the accessability standards are not going to be able to tell if you are relying on java script for content and menus if you are using valid html and not using deprecated attributs and nested tables etc.

Ok, I checked my page on the Wave thing, and I don't see where it says if I passed or not
    -Dan

**EDIT**
    Is it the checkmark beside "Current Wave Preferences"? Also, is there some kind of image you can put on your site to say it is accessible if you pass the test?
    Last edited by Daniel T; 03-15-2004 at 12:02 AM.
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Yeah i understand all of them principles. thanks guys.

P.S I cant also find where it tells you if youve passed or not.

Cheers again

If you give me the URL of the site in question I will tell you myself whether it has passed or not.

This will help: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCON...full-checklist

Originally posted by Robert Wellock
    If you give me the URL of the site in question I will tell you myself whether it has passed or not.
    http://216.36.173.149/hiteckdesign/ (runs off my apache server on my comp, therefor, will only work if my comp is on)
    -Dan
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Cant do it man its on my computer but once i get it up ill post it if thats ok.

Cheers again

I'm not going to test for 508 because that is country specific also you didn't state which level of WCAG you were trying to achieve.

From causal inspection of "Hi Teck Design" I noticed that he colour contrast was rather low, the abbreviation for XHTML was lacking, the blue colour scheme for the links and logo would be confusing to some users, there was a lack of generic font-family and you used points instead of pixels which causes font resizing issues...

I could continue with the list but they are just for starters.

I'm not going to test for 508 because that is country specific also you didn't state which level of WCAG you were trying to achieve.
    WCAG??
    I noticed that he colour contrast was rather low
    Yes, I agree, I'm gonna work on that
    the abbreviation for XHTML was lacking
    Ok, I'll add that in!
    the blue colour scheme for the links and logo would be confusing to some users
    How so?
    there was a lack of generic font-family
    Yes, i noticed it commented on this when i went to validate my CSS. how do you specify a generic font-family?
    you used points instead of pixels which causes font resizing issues...
    Ok, I'll look over my stylesheets and change thos. I changed a few, but had to go sumwhere and never remmebered to finish

Thanx, for takin the time to look it over! I appreciate it!
    -Dan

PS: the name is temporary. i dont like it, i just needed sumthin to put there while i think up a good one

Originally posted by DanieLTomaS
    WCAG??
    Web Content Accessiblity Guidelines, I believe. Don't quote me on it, though.

Yes, i noticed it commented on this when i went to validate my CSS. how do you specify a generic font-family?
    You may find this link a pretty good read.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Thank you Paul!
    -Dan

Thank you Paul!
    -Dan
    No problemo!
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Thread Information