www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: so what host should i go with?

so what host should i go with?

i want to have a guestbook (i hear forums need too much memory), a counter, and something where i can keep stats on traffic and hits etc. A decent amount of storage space would be nice...

i was going to go with yahoo geocities because they are supposed to have a thing that helps you set all that up, but anywayz

heres my temporary website! http://members.rogers.com/mccolgan3129

(doesnt that humanize the whole thing for you?

i was going to go with yahoo geocities because they are supposed to have a thing that helps you set all that up, but anywayz
    Please dont...

Any web server which has support for a server side language will be appropriate. Every server has CGI installed, so you shouldnt have too much trouble finding one!

Regards.

If you are internested in asp.net http://europe.webmatrixhosting.net
    The faq is in my sig. No ads, unlimited bandwidth, 20mb space, smtp, ftp, 10mb mssql. They are a great host but do not sign up if you do not plan on using asp.net because it is designed for learning asp.net (it is ms sponsored for that) and sites that do not have any .aspx files, are deleted monthly when they search the servers for abusers.

i just want to keep it basic so i guess ill avoid the asp.net and go with the freewebz

Originally posted by GleepGlop22
    i just want to keep it basic so i guess ill avoid the asp.net and go with the freewebz
    alright. But keep in mind that they do not support anything server side (they do support cgi, but I think you have to pay for it). You might not be in to server side scripting yet, you might not be for a while, but if you want to do it in the future you are probably going to need to move. So that is just something to keep in the back of your mind I guess.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    They are a great host but do not sign up if you do not plan on using asp.net because it is designed for learning asp.net (it is ms sponsored for that) and sites that do not have any .aspx files, are deleted monthly when they search the servers for abusers.
    That's all? You could have all your pages have .aspx extensions, and not actually be using ASP.net.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    That's all? You could have all your pages have .aspx extensions, and not actually be using ASP.net.
    static pages are one reason you would get kicked, there are others. Sequentially named images, tons of images about 30k, so on and so fourth will also get you banned. Also remote content (too much of it) like opening another site in an iframe, and that other site has all of your content, or calling for remote downloads or images will get you in trouble. Also they do check your files, like if you only have a .aspx extention they do periodically check sites and they moniter server strain and see a bunch of hits to your site but very little server strain they will take a peak at your site. They are proactive.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    static pages are one reason you would get kicked, there are others. Sequentially named images, tons of images about 30k, so on and so fourth will also get you banned. Also remote content (too much of it) like opening another site in an iframe, and that other site has all of your content, or calling for remote downloads or images will get you in trouble. Also they do check your files, like if you only have a .aspx extention they do periodically check sites and they moniter server strain and see a bunch of hits to your site but very little server strain they will take a peak at your site. They are proactive.
    yes, when i was using webmatrixhosting i uploaded a folder of about 15 images, but never got round to doing the site that day, and then the next morning there was a text file telling me that my pics had been deleted!

Thread Information