dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: sms gateway

sms gateway

I have been putting http://www.page-me.com/ in my aim away messages so people can text message my cell when I am not at my comp, and that is fairly awaesome. I know it is going to cost a bit of cash to run a sms gateway, but how do they work, just out of curiosity? Does the server go to the individual networks and send the message through them, or does it dial the cell, or what?

I'm not entirely sure you need that... who's your cell provider?

sprint. But you can use sms to communinicate to phones on all of the major networks, send ring tones, games, and other stuff to cell phones. I just want to know how it is done because it seems so awesome.

i use at&t, so i'm not sure if its the same with you, but basically they give each phone an email address (#@mobile.att.net). You can easily send images and text messages to it with just that address (never tried ring tones).

sprint gives you one too, but that would be a different plan with some providers from just getting a text message from the number. Some providers are going to lump it with messageing, others with the wireless web.

ah, so you're saying you don't wanna just create this for personal use?

no, I just want to know how the sms gateway its self operates. I really have no intention of setting my own up.

Thread Information