www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Webdesigners!

Exclamation Cowboy Webdesigners!

"We have cowboy builders, cowboy plumbers and cowboy joiners.

If you cannot 'build' a webpage and you offer web design for money you are just another cowboy.

Thank you cowboy: you are thanked for ruining the image of web designers. It is no wonder the web has died over the last few years."

How many people feel like this here? I do.

I don't at all. Maybe its because I have never met a cowboy, maybe that is because I am not a cowboy myself... Just someone who is really really awesome and hard core in a hard code sort of a way.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 03-18-2004 at 07:18 PM.

It doesnt bother me really...

Theres lots of money to be made from the web, they are just trying to make some cash.. All those who arent serious fade away anyway.

Regards.

Pardon me for being dense, but is this a thread ragging on cowboys? Isn't there something in the posting guidelines about this...?
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

I never knew there were posting guidelines. I will cooperate fully with abiding by them.

Re: Cowboy Webdesigners!

Originally posted by Bonner
    "We have cowboy builders, cowboy plumbers and cowboy joiners.

If you cannot 'build' a webpage and you offer web design for money you are just another cowboy.

Thank you cowboy: you are thanked for ruining the image of web designers. It is no wonder the web has died over the last few years."
    Yippy ki yea and git along little doggies.

ahhh I am a city slicker... But I do watch a lot of clint eastwood movies, thats got to count for something right?

I think Bonner has a point thou... I have met plenty of businesses that have been taken by one of these "Cowboy webdesigners". I have always called them something different, which I will not mention here!

However they do make it very hard for those of us who use webdesign as a way of life. Trying to show a client that the web can be useful is difficult for a business that has spent thousands and never seen a sale.
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

Originally posted by Compguy Pete
    Trying to show a client that the web can be useful is difficult for a business that has spent thousands and never seen a sale.
    I've worked with a company that literally ran themselves out of money on these kinds of "web developers". Currently, their entire project is on hold, as they don't have any money to get the web site completed. When I took over, it was running php-nuke, using what looked like a default template - and the guy that made that was the second developer that couldn't come through for them! Unbelieveable.

Personal website http://www.ryanbrill.com/
    Business website: http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/
    TypeSpace http://www.typespace.org/

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

how can they get away with that? I mean wouldnt you pay them a little for initial setup but the bulk of the money a week after the site is done and it still works or something? I mean I wouldn't pay anyone up front for something like that. I would want to see the cutumb scripting I want working and I would want to see valid markup. (though most laymen would not know to look for valid markup)

Pyro, that is quite shocking to hear. I actually never thought about it putting businesses out of business before.

I did not even think about the impact it is having on us to be honest. I just look around all the time and see poor quality websites that look like they have had about 1 days work put on them.

My point exatly weather I posted this in the wrong forum or not, is, despite the web is a free and open place people are not taking the right measures to ensure that the right people are hired probbly due to the lack of knowledge.

I myself am not ready to start building websites for people yet and will not for the next 5 years at least.

I build some websites at the moment for the experience but I only do it for free.

If a crapily made website is your dfinition of cowboy then I see that often... but its more a lazyness thing then a not know how to make it right. The problem with this is half the time the company does not know that an inaccessable site that works for ie only (as an example) could be killing their revenue.

Interesting thread. I read an article about 6 months ago by some top business analyst that stated 'web designers/developers are fast gaining a reputation equivalent to that of lawyers'. Not a very nice comment I thought, but I could see his point.

I myself am not ready to start building websites for people yet and will not for the next 5 years at least.
    Shouldnt take this long.

I think its more out of ignorance than anything else. Alot of people simply aquire a basic knowledge of HTML and then whip up a few sites for local companies.
    All so they can say "i have done this..."

Regards.

Shouldnt take this long.
    It does if I want to be the next Bill Gates, but known for good things.

It is disapointing to see people lacking with skills and thinking they can build websites.

Most are willing to learn though but do not try to learn themselves and would rather seek someone else to sort out their messy markup and things.

Although I do not mind helping because it helps clean up the www.

The problem is: the Internet is not owned by anyone so anything goes really.

When I do start building websites for money though, I hope to be known for my standards (in a good way of course) before I even start. At least then I can be proud of what I have created.

Thread Information